When you have a vast book collection that you've spent years acquiring, the last thing you want to do is keep it hidden inside a closet or storage bin. Yet, when you display books in plain sight, they can take on a cluttered appearance, and cause a room to look unkempt or overcrowded. By learning the right way to display books, you can showcase them in a positive way and add a decorative touch to any room.
Tips for displaying books
Whether choosing to showcase your collection of literary works on bookcase, keep the following tips in mind:
1. Keep books pushed forward, not back, to give the bookcase a fuller appearance.
2. Anchor the bookcase by staggering books to the left on one shelf, and the right on another.
3. Add an decorative object, such as a vase, framed photograph, or heavy knick-knack, to fill in blank spots.
4. Mix things up by stacking large books horizontally on shelf ends.
5. Use your heaviest books as supportive bookends.
6. Always display books and other items on bookshelves in odd numbers to maintain balance.
7. Before placing books on the bookshelf, cover the back of each shelf with wallpaper or fabric, or paint it a bright accent color. Learn more 'Ways to Decorate a Bookcase'.
Tips for using books as home décor
Aside from simply sitting on a shelf, you can also display books as a vital part of your home décor. There are many creative ways to decorate with books in this fashion. Here are a few fun suggestions:
1. Stack several heavy books on top of one another beside a chair or sofa. Top the books with a glass top, or thin sheet of laminate, top to keep the books protected. Use as a side table.
2. Display books in rooms that support the subject matter. For example, keep cooking and diet books in the kitchen on a shelf. Keep classic books, decorating books, and family reading in the living room.
3. Use a small stack of books to elevate a table lamp, photo collection, or other small object.
4. Instead of displaying books with ripped or torn jackets, remove them and display them in their original form. This is not only more pleasing to the eye, but it gives any book a more classic appearance.
5. When looking for additional room to decorate with books, don't forget to take advantage of the ceiling. Shelving can be installed 12" - 18" below ceiling height, which can cover one wall, two, or an entire room. Just be sure to select heavy-duty shelving that will safely hold the weight of the books.
More from Jennifer Wagner:
Source: Personal knowledge and experience