It’s no secret that a great diet can help you look and feel younger, but you might be surprised to learn about some specific foods that have age-defying properties. Elisa Zied is a nutritionist and author of “Younger Next Week,” and she stopped by Daily Shot to share her favorite age-defying foods:
1. Popcorn. “It’s 100 percent whole grain and it’s also a great source of fiber,” Elisa says. Popcorn also has great plant chemicals called polyphenols which have anti-oxidant properties. “They fight the free radicals that are in your body and in the environment that ruin skin and other body cells,” she adds.
2. Potatoes. While low-carb enthusiasts might be shocked to see the potatoes presence on a power food list, Elisa says “carbs are so essential because they give your body, your brain, your red blood cells, your whole nervous system the basic glucose that you need to be energized.” They also enhance the production of serotonin, “that wonderful chemical that keeps you from being depressed.”
3. Cereal. “Aim for whole grain, high fiber, low sugar cereal because the fiber and whole grains fills you up, and the whole grains protect you against disease,” Elisa says. Cereal is also a great “cluster” food that goes well with other foods like yogurt, fruit, or nuts.
WATCH: The Surgery-Free Facelift
4. Nuts. A recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine showed longevity benefits for those who ate an ounce of nuts every day. “The key is portion size,” she says.
5. Eggs. “They’re a source of high-quality protein,” Elisa explains. “Two-thirds of the fat in an egg actually comes from unsaturated fats. Including it as part of your breakfast or as part of your lunch actually fills you up to the extent that you reduce your calorie intake.”