The World Series begins tonight (Boston Red Sox vs. St. Louis Cardinals), and it's a really big deal for American sports enthusiasts and probably to someone you know, which means there's a good chance you'll be watching it.
Just because you're not the biggest sports fan doesn't mean you can't have the time of your life.
Here are 10 ways to enjoy the rivalry without having kept up with baseball, or ever having watched a game in your life. Time to get your game face on!
1. Make a bet. This raises the stakes and gives you a reason to send tactless puns to your friend. Bet on which team will steal the most bases, hit the most home runs, fail at sliding, or repeatedly yell at the refs. Loser gets put on airport pickup duty.
2. Talk a good game on Twitter. Check the trending hashtags to see what's most important to tweet about, and then offer a comment. You can also just tweet "Wow… #WorldSeries" every so often.
3. Buy a team hat. People don't wear hats enough these days, and life can be more fun with something on your head. Plus, you'll catch the eye of strangers who will want to discuss it with you, so you could make new friends along the way. Just make sure you keep track of the score, or this plan will super backfire.
4. Head to a sports bar and celebrate camaraderie. If you don't want to watch the game, you can watch people watching the game. If you don't want to do that, you can order potato skins.
5. Pick one player to root for and commit to him. Even if you have no idea who he is, he is your guy. Cheer really loud whenever he does something good and say things like, "Bad call!" or "Out of his control!" whenever he does something wrong. If people ask you why you like him, tell them he's a go-getter.
6. Dress up your baby(ies).
7. Enjoy pre-game ceremonies. Mary J. Blige will sing the National Anthem tonight for Game 1, and sometimes a celebrity will throw the first pitch and it can be really entertaining. Carly Rae Jepsen, we still love you!
8. Throw a World Series party. You can make cool cupcakes like these...
9. If you don't throw the party, still make the cupcakes.
10. Join the #WorldSeries discussion on Instagram. Make sure to post a photo of your cupcakes so you can compete with your real adversary: cookies.
More of the Good News:
8 Things that Don't Make a Good First Impression, But Are Worth Another Try
Not All 6-year-old Girls Just Want To Play With Dolls
This 3-year-old is So Good With Golf It's Funny