Just in time for the holidays, Fabio gives you his essential Cookies 411! He reveals the secrets of making and working with cookie dough and whips up a batch of his mama's famous sugar cookies.
- Homemade sugar cookies are very easy; very few ingredients are required and you can bake up a delicious batch in less than 20 minutes!
- For perfect cookies, make sure all wet ingredients are at room temperature when you incorporate in the dry. This will help to ensure everything is thoroughly mixed together.
- Simple flavors like vanilla create a great base for your cookies to taste richer.
- Remember to evenly space your cookies on the baking sheet as they will expand as you bake them.
- Crisper cookies are made at a temperature of 350F.
MAMA'S SUGAR COOKIES
Recipe by Fabio Viviani
Yields 4 dozen cookies
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. baking soda
1/3 tsp. baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a small bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined.
Add the dry ingredients in two parts, mixing thoroughly between each addition. Mix the dough until the dough pulls away from the edges of the bowl.
Bake 8 minutes, and rotate the pan, then bake another 8 min. in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand for a few minutes to make it easier to handle before removing to fully cool.