By Angelique Serrano, Allure magazine
So summer is sadly coming to an end....chin up-the makeup trends this fall are a happy return to vivid color, gorgeous skin, and just a sprinkle of shimmer. There was really so much good beauty to choose from for the season-check out our backstage coverage of the best fall runways shows here-but these are the looks even jaded beauty editors are jonesing for.
1. Flawless Skin: Sound impossible? It's actually easy with makeup artist Pat McGrath's recipe (check out the results she got at Louis Vuitton and Gucci). Before you even crack open a foundation bottle, exfoliate and moisturize really well. Then warm up the foundation in your hand and rub it over any red splotches and dark spots-including the ones on your neck and chest. Pat matte concealer under the eyes and around the nose (McGrath likes Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage), and paint it onto any dark spots with a pointed brush (McGrath's pick: Make Up For Ever Eyeshadow Brush 16S). Next, go to town with a creamy highlighter that's about the same shade as your skin-dab it on your cheekbones, the bridge of the nose, the brow bones, the eyes' inner corners, the Cupid's bow, and the chin. A dusting of powder is optional, and should only happen in the T-zone. "Leave the cheekbones dewy; this makes the skin appear more luminous," McGrath says.
2. Colorful Shadows: Kiss your old reliable champagne and sheer-beige eye shadows goodbye-at least for now. We're dying over actual color on the eyes for fall. Try a deep forest green with just a hint of gold shimmer (Estée Lauder Emerald Star), or give lavender a go (think less pastel and more moody gray, like Chanel Taupe Grisé). Even fuchsia looks right when blended with black or gray shadow-a look inspired by the amazing eye makeup at Yves Saint Laurent, above (try Cover Girl Smoky ShadowBlast in Purple Plume).
3. Smudgy Eyes: When it comes to applying all that color on your eyes, perfection is, well, not so perfect for the season. Instead, use the super-smoked-out look at Roberto Cavalli as your inspiration. Douse your lids with color, lines your lashes-top and bottom-with another shade and smudge with a cotton swab, then blend them with a domed brush. Pure sex kitten.
Related: 10 New Hair Ideas for Fall
4. Sparkling Pink Cheeks: "Bright pink cheeks are youthful," says makeup artist Dick Page-especially when that pink is flecked with some gold shimmer. Dust it onto the apples of your cheeks with a soft brush. And don't be shy about it! (We love The Body Shop's Petal Blush.)
5. Bold Lips: Shades like bright fuchsia, tangerine orange, and deep burgundy are definitely daring, but they can be supremely sexy, too. (Just check out the wine-stained lips at the fall Proenza Schouler show for proof.) Opt for a creamy lipstick, and keep the rest of the makeup on your face subtle-just a hint of warmth added to your skin with bronzer and blush, plus some mascara-and you'll see how addicting a loud lip color can be. (Our fall favorites? Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pure Shine Sheer Lipstick in Blood Orange; Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick in 36, a matte fuchsia; and the rich Rimmel London Moisture Renew Lipcolour in Burgundy Lustre.)
MORE FROM ALLURE:
- 44 Confidence Boosters
- 10 New Sexy and Speedy Makeup Looks
- 10 Hairstyles That Will Make You Look 10 Years Younger
- 37 Gorgeous New Hair Ideas
- 17 Bad Skin Habits
Photo Credit: WWD