Gone are the days when cardigans were a grandma's wardrobe staple. The new crop of cardigans that have emerged for fall 2012 are far from being plain and matronly. In fact, the new styles will bowl you over with their fresh interpretations, making it an absolute fashion-forward essential. Hence, if cardigans reminded you once of your grave high school teacher, pause, and check out these trendy pieces for your fall wardrobe.
Printed cardigansDesigners have incorporated novel trends with this fall essential and the result is nothing but dramatic. When it comes to Fall 2012, printed cardigans are in vogue. Look for bold graphics, tribal or dramatic animal motifs to make a statement in the coming months. Pair them with solids or play with patterns for a look that is chic and elegant.
- Photobook cardigan, Madewell, $95
- Animal-print cardigan, Macy's, $69
- Pebble cardigan, Madewell, $118
- Dot print crew neck cardigan, Ann Taylor, $78
Houndstooth cardigansFor that elegant Brit-inspired look, houndstooth are your ideal go-to option. As the weather cools down, you may choose to style a heavy-patterned houndstooth cardigan with a light shirt and dark jeans. The heavy/light combo balances the whole look and keeps it streamlined.
- Long houndstooth cardigan, Madewell, $92
- Fred Perry Amy Winehouse Collection Houndstooth Cardigan, $71.99
Letterman cardigansAdd a cool touch to your fall outfits with trendy letterman sweaters and cardigans. Don't limit wearing your varsity jacket-inspired sweaters with jeans and pants, but, take it a step ahead and pair it with sheer skirts and printed dresses. Add a pair of leggings and ankle boots to complete the whole look.
- Madewell sweater-jacket, $158
- Letterman-inspired cardigan with shawl collars - Forever21, $27.80
- BP letterman cardigan - Nordstrom, $44
Colorblocks have ruled the fashion scene for quite some time and it doesn't seem to be fading anytime soon. The new styles of colorblocked sweaters are versatile and cater to women of varying style mantras. Whether you like keeping it subtle and conservative or make heads turn, there's something out there for you.
- Colorblocked V-Neck Cardigan, Ann Taylor, $78
- Colorblock cornershop cardigan, MAdewell, $72
- Charter Club Sweater, Long-Sleeve Colorblock Cashmere, Macy's, $149
- Colorblock heartnote cardigan, Madewell, $72
More from the contributor:Be the Lady in Red: Must-Have Scarlet for Fall