by Jessica Radloff
When Anh Co Tran, AKA the man behind the famous pixie cut that made model Coca Rocha the talk of the entire beauty world last year gives you hair advice, you listen. Below, Tran (who has his own salon, Ramirez Tran Salon, and has also worked recently with Ashley Madekwe and Melonie Diaz) breaks down his all-time best hair 10 tips. Take notes.
1. To keep your strands shiny and manageable, use a mask every two to three weeks depending on how dry your hair is (meaning the dryer your hair is, the most often you should mask-up).
2. If your hair has trouble grabbing onto hair dye, instead of a clarifying shampoo, grab dishwashing soap. Tran recommends using Palmolive to wash your hair the night before you get your color done because it removes all the build-up and leaves it in a virgin-like state. A word of warning: Skip this one if you have very fragile strands, since it can also be drying.
See more: 13 Sneaky Habits That Can Cause Acne
3. For sexy hair, forget perfecting your smooth blowout, and make your goal rough and tousled, or, as he says, "like you've had your hair that way forever even if you just got it cut."
4. Break out of your hair rut, like, right now. Tran enjoys it when celebs go for a big chop because "it means they embrace change. It's good to see that on the carpet." And in life.
5. The one trend he says will never go out of style? Braids. "I love them!," enthuses Tran.
6. To get the undone wave look, alternate the direction of the curling iron, so some sections go toward your face and some go away from it. The change in orientation will make the waves look more natural, so they don't scream "my curling iron was here!"See more: 10 Trends to Try in 2014
7. Speaking of curling irons, leave the metal curling irons to the pros--they can get very hot, which is great for salon experts, but the reality is they can end up damaging hair in untrained hands. "For home use, ceramic is better," says Tran.
8. When you want to dirty-up waves for that second-day hair look, Tran uses Oribe Apres Beach Wave and Shine Spray. Shake the bottle really well before spraying it from a distance. Then if you need a little more grit, you can follow it with a texturizing spray.
10. The secret to a braided buns is making your braids two sizes. Create a small skinny braid on one side and pin into a bun in the middle of the back of your head. Then make a looser, chunkier braid with the other half of your hair and wind it into a bigger bun directly on top of the first one so you only see the bigger bun on top. That way you get the effect of the braid on both sides of your hair (symmetry is your friend!) but you only have one bun in the back.
More from Glamour:
The Best Celeb Haircut for Your Texture
11 Dating Don'ts You Should Stop Doing Now
25 Celebrity Hairstyles That Will Make You Want Bangs
10 Wardrobe Essentials Every Woman Should Own