There's this new trend in writing really long press releases, which is fine by me as long as the information is valuable. When RoC sent this one around today, they were totally preaching to the choir. Their new Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30 looks awesome, no question there. But handily, they wanted to remind us of the top 10 reasons why retinol has continued to reign since '99. It's not as funny as say, one of Letterman's Top Ten Lists (from back in the day, not the more recent ones), but sometimes, skincare gospel bears repeating. The reasons why you should be using retinol and how to shop for it--albeit brought to you by a somewhat biased source, RoC--after the jump.
FROM ROC PRESS RELEASE:
1. Retinol products containing pure and stable Vitamin A are most effective. Retinol's structure allows it to immediately set to work improving skin's appearance. In contrast, Retinol esters (pro retinol, retinyl palmitate, retinyl propionate, etc.) first have to be converted into Retinol before they can begin to work.
2. Retinol fights fine lines AND deep wrinkles. Whether you're looking to prevent future signs of aging or hoping to appear years younger, there's a Retinol product suited to your needs. For deeper wrinkles, opt for a formula that offers an ultra-effective combination of Retinol and an Essential Mineral Complex.
3. Retinol's strength is not only determined by its concentration. Retinol's efficacy relies heavily on its formulation and delivery system. A product containing a higher percentage level of Retinol will not necessarily work better or faster.
4. Retinol must penetrate skin to improve it. Delivering Retinol in an encapsulated form enables it to penetrate into the skin's surface, improving performance. Many other over-the-counter products only topically coat the skin, compromising results.
5. Retinol can degrade if not packaged properly. An air-tight, opaque tube or bottle helps maintain the formula's stability by preventing oxygen or UV-light penetration.
6. Retinol works best when introduced gradually to your regimen. Using Retinol is like training for a marathon. Slowly build up your tolerance level--begin by applying a product containing Retinol every other day. Once your skin adjusts to this effective ingredient, you'll be able to incorporate it into a daily skincare regimen with little chance of flaking or redness.
7. Retinol products can be safely used on sunny days. You don't have to forego Retinol's anti-aging benefits during daytime hours. A formula containing SPF 30 will provide adequate protection from the sun's rays (like RoC's newest addition, the RETINOL CORREXION® DEEP WRINKLE DAILY MOISTURIZER with SPF 30)
8. Retinol will complement AHA usage. Alpha hydroxy acids exfoliate the skin, enabling Retinol to penetrate into the skin's surface even more efficiently. A product containing both ingredients is best used at night to avoid sensitivity.
9. Retinol can help prevent the signs of premature aging. Early use of products containing pure and stable Retinol will help to combat fine lines before they start to appear noticeable, so skin continues to look years younger than it's true age.
10. Retinol improves more than just wrinkles. It not only reduces the appearance of fine lines and deep wrinkles, but also improves skin tone, the signs of photodamage and pore size. Combined with sun protection, it's the gold standard in anti-aging.
Got the message? It's like, more convincing than a Scientology meeting starring Tom and Katie. I've already ordered five tubes. I've heard what all the experts say, but I'd love to hear from women who've been using retinol long term. I've always wanted to commit to it, but I'm too busy trying every other damn product that comes out every five minute----- me back if you love the ret (or hate it).
Want more Product Fiend? Check out our Obsession of the Day for a daily review of the latest beauty must-haves!
Related Links from Product Fiend and Allure:
- Subscribe to Allure right now and get a FREE TOTE BAG!
Celebrity Skin: Our Product Feinders dish on the latest celebrity beauty trends.
- Look Younger in 30 Days! Sign up for our free, anti-aging makeover, and you'll get an easy expert tip each day to start turning back the clock.
- Being Green: Discover the latest in eco-friendly skincare products.