We don't think we'll ever tire of the smoky eye as the ultimate sexy makeup look (when done well). But what we are tired of are the black, gray and silver shadow palettes. Looking to mix it up? Try one of these smoky eye alternatives instead.
This works best on blue and brown eyes. Blue eye shadow may remind you of the 80s but if used right, can have gorgeous effects. Skeptical? Use navy and deep slate gray. Palette suggestion: MAC Custom Eye Compact in Grey (It actually includes blues).
See: How to fake wide-awake eyes.
This hue will make brown and hazel eyes pop. Opt for plums instead of true purples if you're not ready to take the color plunge yet. Palette suggestion: Maybelline Eye Studio in Purple Icon.
See: How to apply eye shadow like a diva.
Try this on green, hazel and brown eyes. This look is great for the summer when heat levels are high and makeup tends to run all over your face. Add a bronze or copper shade to your makeup bag, and you've avoided raccoon eyes. Palette suggestion: Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Palette in Vanity. See: Best metallic makeup picks for your eyes.
Now that you have your colorful new options, here's the basics on getting your smoky eye.
- The trick is to keep most of the color concentrated at the lash line and to have a clean, fluffy brush on hand for blending.
- Apply a gel eyeliner along the upper and lower lids with a small, stiff brush, getting as close to the lashes as possible.
- Using an eye shadow brush, apply the lightest color as the base over your entire lid . If you have oily lids, prep them first with an eyeshadow primer.
- Next, apply the darkest color along your lash line, adding more color to the outer corner of your eye.
- Blend in the two hues, bringing the color up towards your brow bone and out. To get an even more dramatic effect, stipple a dark shadow into your crease and blend some more. This will create depth in your eyes.
- Sweep a light, shimmery shadow over the lids.
- Finish off with several coats of mascara.
More Makeup Ideas:
- Sexy Date Night Makeup for Every Age
- How to Create a Smoky Eye for Almond-Shaped Eyes
- The Quickest Smoky Eye Ever
- Dark, Dramatic Makeup How To
- Sultry Eyes in a Flash