Don't put away your hot-weather pieces just yet. Here are three that, with our tweaks, can last you through the fall.
1. Add a tank with thicker straps and a cardigan in a rich fall color to mellow the summertime vibe of this dress.
Classic tank, Jockey, $12; jockey.com. Cardigan, New York & Company, $35; nyandcompany.com. Bow flats, Bitten Sarah Jessica Parker, $9; Steve & Barry's, bittensjp.com for store info. Rosette belt, J.Crew, $38; jcrew.com.
2.Reduce the chill factor (and up the cool factor) by wearing a sundress with a leather jacket, opaque tights, and a scarf -- or two!
Jacket, Edie Rose for DKNY Jeans, $98; Dillards, Macy's, 800-777-4524 for store info, dknyjeans.com. Tights, Kushyfoot, $8; kushyfoot.com. "Viper" heels, Nina, $90; ninashoes.com. "Sandrine Dot" scarf, Banana Republic, $49; bananarepublic.com. Skinny scarf, L. Erickson, $28; franceluxe.com. Wristlet, Express, $40; select Express stores. Bracelet, Ted Rossi, $118; tedrossi.com.
Sundress, Nicole by Nicole Miller for JCPenney, $70; 877-FIND-JCP for store info.
1. Swap flip-flops for closed-toe heels and strappy tanks for tailored pieces to land a chic autumn office look.
Ombre tie blouse, Newport News, $29; newport-news.com. Sweater vest, Isaac Mizrahi for Target, $25; 800-800-8800 for store info, target.com. "Betty" heels, Butter, $225; Tani, NYC, 212-873-4361, taninyc.com.
2. Flat riding boots and thick knit layers help cropped pants make the switch to a new season.
Striped Henley, Dockers, $34; 800-DOCKERS, dockers.com. "Reanna" cardigan, Charlotte Tarantola, $165; tootsies.com. "Sam" boots, Corso Como, $285; piperlime.com. "Harvest Beaded" scarf, Tolani, $99; shopkitson.com.
Cropped Pants, Metro 7, $16; walmart.com.
1. These sandals still work after you've put your shorts in storage. Wear them with superwide-leg pants instead of heels.
Tank, New York & Company, $27; nyandcompany.com. Cardigan, Old Navy, $25; oldnavy.com. Pants, H&M, $50; hm.com for store info. Patent belt, Kmart, $13; kmart.com. Necklace, Icing, $11; 800-CLAIRES, icingbyclaires.com. Ombre tote, Mossimo for Target, $25; select Target stores, target.com.
2. Gladiators are an unexpectedly chic replacement for ballet flats with a skirt and blazer -- the turtleneck protects against the chilly autumn air."Udee" flats, Chinese Laundry, $49; chineselaundry.com.
Related: 5 Dresses Every Woman Should Own
More from REDBOOK:
26 Organizing Tricks That Actually Work
Have the Hottest Sex of Your Life…with Your Husband
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- 101 Date Night Ideas
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.