By Pia Bhattacharya, SELF magazine
In my tween years, I remember hoarding little butterfly clips (and using way too many at one time), dowsing my hair in glitter hairspray and covering my ear lobes in stick on earrings. While these are all but a distant memory (thankfully!) I have to admit; a few of these fads still have a place in my heart. And they're not as long gone as I thought. Some of your favorite oldies are making a modern day come back:
1. Tinkerbell Cosmetics Brush-On Peel-Off Polishes: I couldn't last through the day without peeling the color off, but it made a polish-change so much fun and it was easier than reaching for the remover. So to satisfy my inner Tinkerbell I found:
Sula Paint & Peel, $8: These come in some really great (and grown up) colors, though my guess is the urge to peel off the paint probably won't subside with age. But if you're a frequent polish changer, these might be a home-run.
2. Bonnebell Lip Smackers Trio: Back in elementary, I wouldn't be caught at the cafeteria without my strawberry Bonnebell Lip Smackers. I'm pleased to say that these survived my dive into lipsticks and lip-gloss:
Bonnebell Lip Smackers Juicy Blooms, $3.50: These taste just as delicious as the originals and have just a drop of color and a hint of shimmer. Yum!
Related: 26 Musts For Your Makeup Bag
3. Band-Aids: Back in the day, the best way to ease a boo-boo was with a fun, crazy Band-Aid. I was so in love with my Care Bears ones that I'd stick them on just for fun. Now that you're all grown up, these are a chic upgrade:
Cynthia Rowley Band-Aids (available September 4): Since (most of us) keep our Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles memorabilia at home, these limited edition Band-Aids come in pretty patterns and styles to satisfy the kid turned glam-girl in you.
4. Topsy Tail: It's no wonder this simple little gadget became one of the most lucrative hair tools in history. I remember creating all sorts of ponytails and braids on me and my Barbies with it. Oh, the memories. So I was psyched to find out about this:
Scunci Topsy Tail Kit, $3.99: Yes, the Topsy Tail lives on. The kit comes with elastics, bobby pins, everything you need to recreate your favorite no fail ponytail. And I thought I'd lost mine forever!
More from SELF:
- Try these superfoods for flat abs!
Check out SELF's stop cellulite workout
- SELF's annual healthy food awards showcases 66 fast fix foods you'll love to eat!
- Find the best swimsuit for your body type now!
Photo Credit: sulabeauty.com