Antonio Prieto, founder of Antonio Prieto Salon in New York City, is the stylist responsible for the easy-to-do looks in "Hair Bliss 101: Learn To Style Like A Pro" from the August Issue of SELF. This week, he tells us four things every curly girl should remember.
- You don't have to shampoo your hair with suds! Rinsing your hair and washing your scalp with conditioner or a sulfate free shampoo reduces frizz because you're not taking away the natural oils that protect the hair.
- Avoid creating a lion's mane: Don't brush your hair while it is dry! Instead, comb through it with a large tooth comb or your fingers while it's really wet to get the best curl formation.
- Take advantage of your texture when you create up-do's: Since it's not super slippery like straight hair, you can easily create an elegant (and long-lasting) style by twisting large sections into knots and pinning with extra-large hairpins.
- Gel is your friend! A good gel like Ecru Marine Styling Balm has great properties for defining curls and keeping them flexible (not crunchy). If your curls get a little hard - don't stress! Just wait until hair is 100 percent dry, then scrunch it until it's soft. This also helps curls look more defined.
More from SELF:
- Try these superfoods for flat abs!
Check out SELF's stop cellulite workout
- SELF's annual healthy food awards showcases 66 fast fix foods you'll love to eat!
- Find the best swimsuit for your body type now!
Photo Credit: WWD