Take a cue from Hollywood's best-dressed celebs on how to get the right type of attention when you go out for the night.
Photo Credit: Wireimage.com
By now, Brad Pitt is probably used to the mother of his brood grabbing the spotlight whenever they walk a red carpet together. But even Angelina Jolie must have been surprised that she wasn't the one - it wasn't even them together - who stole the show at the L.A. premiere of Pitt's summer hit, Inglourious Basterds, at Grauman's Chinese Theatre. The most famous attendants on that balmy California afternoon were a few strips of black leather Michael Kors had artfully culled into a strapless, body-hugging cocktail dress. Within hours of that little number's debut on the red carpet, the brand's boutiques were completely sold out of the $3,295 dress. Since then, Kors has gone into production on that dress no less than three times.
Jolie's look packed a punch, as it effectively tapped into some of the season's key trends:
1. Leather. As with Jolie's outfit, leather adds a hint of danger. DJ and party girl Leigh Lezark wisely qualified the effect of such a striking style choice: "It's the dress that every girl in the room wants to get into and every boy in the room wants to get you out of." Not ready for full-on body-hugging leather? Try starting with a mini skirt.
2. Sequins. No longer the domain of showgirls, when worn correctly and with confidence, sequins can brand an outfit with flirty edginess. In the past few months several sequined gowns have strutted the red carpet, such as Beyonce Knowles's thigh-grazing Balmain dress at the BET Awards. The key to choosing the right piece is how the sequins are sewn. The larger the sequin and more mobile the stitch the more flattering the look.
3. Structures Silhouettes. Female strength and assertiveness have been predominant themes on both photo credit: WireImage.comthe runway and the red carpet this year with severely structured lines. Rihanna not only dishes out natural authority with her body language, but with her clothing as well. A Perfect example is the exaggerated Louis Vuitton shoulders she donned recently at a charity gala. To get this effect try pairing a tailored blazer with a high cut cocktail dress. The result is sexy structure.
4. Daring Designs. This is one fashion principle that will never go out of style. For a dramatic impression choose an outfit that forces you to leave your style comfort zone, like the daringly low scooped back L'Wren Scott gown Nicole Kidman wore at the Academy of Country Music Awards is a perfect example. Choose a clingy fabric that shows a little more skin than you're used to exposing.
5. Novelty Fabrics. While leather looks have been the ubiquitous choice for many celebrities, wearing a lesser-used fabric will turn heads in appreciation as well. If everyone's wearing tweed choose a well crafted flannel piece. Blake Lively had some good fortune in a fuchsia cashmere version of Jolie's dress at the CFDA Awards.
And finally, tie it all together. 19-year-old actress Emma Watson has recently asserted herself as fashion's freshest icon by embracing this year's flashiest trends, from gold sequins to leather bodices. Watson has said the tends make her feel tough and "kinky." Poppy Delevingne, the British model and party girl known for her flirty style, puts it best: "The demure days definitely aren't over for good. But right now, hooker is how I'm feeling!" And clearly it's these chic ladies of the night who are getting all the attention.
What trends are you planning to wear during the holiday season? What will you be staying away from?
More from Harper's Bazaar:7 Best Winter Party Looks
20 Top Trends For 2010
Easy Holiday Party Hair
Look Younger Without Plastic Surgery or Botox
Looking for more fashion, beauty, and shopping? Subscribe to Harper's Bazaar!
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.