By Rachel Omansky, SELF magazine
Fresh faced, matte makeup is making a comeback this Fall. And as you know, anything worth doing is worth doing right. We asked NYC New York Color Makeup artist, Matthew ----- ra, how to master the matte look.
"A modern matte makeup is more about achieving the appearance of it than actually executing it literally," says Matthew. Here's how you can get a matte look 5 steps:
Related: 26 Musts For Your Makeup Bag
1. Prepare your skin by using lots of moisturizer to keep skin smooth and primers to make sure your makeup stays put (we like Smashbox Photo Finish Targeted Pore & Line Primer, $32). This will help hide imperfections without layering on foundation so you avoid looking cakey.
2. Conceal imperfections and tone down redness using a cover stick like Sephora Collection Cooling Cover Stick, $12.
3. Highlight the middle of your face with an illuminating powder like NYC New York Color Mosaic Wheel in All over Glow $5 , to add dimension and make skin look healthier.
Related: Before you hit the beach, try these 20 superfoods for weight loss
4. Contour your cheeks by sucking in your cheekbones and swipe a bronzing face powder underneath the ridge of your cheek. This will play with dimension and not color. Sweep a tiny bit of blush on the apples of your cheeks for a bit of healthy color.
5. Line your lips with a neutral lip liner and finish with a light caramel or pink lip color for a nude finish.
More from SELF:
- Try these superfoods for flat abs!
Check out SELF's stop cellulite workout
- SELF's annual healthy food awards showcases 66 fast fix foods you'll love to eat!
- Find the best swimsuit for your body type now!
Photo Credit: WWD