Caring for your skin the natural way is as easy as blending together a few everyday ingredients. Today, commercial beauty products are full of suspect chemicals and harsh agents that can potentially damage your skin. The face is especially sensitive and delicate, so homemade natural products are the way to go. Plus, since the average woman spends nearly $200 on beauty products every year, making your own products can save you a bundle.
MAYONNAISE-BABY OIL DRY SKIN TREATMENT
This mask by itsecotime.com is ideal for skin in the need of deep moisturizing.
2 tablespoons real mayonnaise
1 teaspoon baby oil
1. Combine both ingredients.
2. Smooth onto face, neck, rough elbows and knees or anywhere else you feel might benefit from it.
3. Leave for 20 minutes.
4. Rinse off thoroughly with tepid water.
Related: Natural Anti-Aging Eye Treatments
OATMEAL AND ONION PUREE FACE MASK
This recipe, from The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances by Julie Gabriel, is great for clearing acne. Oatmeal clears clogged pores and onions have natural anti-inflammatory properties, which can help heal acne scars.
1 ounce. purified mineral water
3 tablespoons. plain organic oatmeal
1 medium onion, peeled
1. Boil water and pour over oatmeal, letting steep for five minutes.
2. Finely grind onion in a food processor, making a smooth puree. Add to the oatmeal while still warm.
3. If the mask is not thick enough, add some honey or green clay until the mask is thick enough to sit comfortably on your face.
Makes eight applications. Store excess in the refrigerator for one week.
Related: 5 Safe, Sexy Non-Toxic Lipsticks
REVITALIZING MASK WITH CUCUMBER AND AVOCADO
This ItsEcoTime.com facial mask serves as an intense moisturizer thanks to the thick, natural oils in avocados.
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped avocado
1 egg white
2 tsp. powdered milk
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender until they form a smooth paste.
2. Immediately apply the mask to your face and neck using circular upward movements. (Mask should be applied within 30 minutes of mixing ingredients.)
3. Leave the mask on for 30 minutes, or until dry.
4. Rinse your face and neck with warm water and finish with a cold water rinse.
TONING MASK WITH LEMON AND EGG WHITE
Juice from 1/2 a lemon (strained)
1 egg white
1. Beat together the egg white and lemon juice for 3 minutes.
2. Apply directly to your face, avoiding the eyes.
3. Leave on for 30 minutes.
4. Rinse off with warm water.
Related: Great Natural Anti-Aging Face Creams
Try this recipe from The Green Beauty Guide for fresher looking skin.
2 tablespoons white clay
1 tablespoon corn flour
1 egg white
1 drop chamomile oil
1. Blend ingredients in a china bowl. Mix well to dissolve egg white completely.
2. Apply to clean, dry face. If paste is too thick, dilute mixture with freshly brewed chamomile tea.
3. Let dry and wash off with lukewarm water.
Makes 10 applications. Store excess in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Related: Safe, Natural Sunscreens
MORE NATURAL BEAUTY TIPS from TheDailyGreen.com
healthy skin women > More DIY Natural Beauty Recipes
> More Homemade Skincare Treatments
> 10 Quick, Healthy Breakfast Foods
> Top 10 Natural Sources of Vitamin D
> 9 Natural Deodorants that Really Work