Just like skin, there are a plethora of hair types that run the gamut of tress care. Although specialized advice is great, let's not forget about the basics. Here are five must-know things about your hair, whether it's fine, thick, curly or pin-straight.
1. It is best to shampoo in two steps (two small doses of shampoo instead of one large), first using a general shampoo, and then one designed to treat a specific need. If you can bear it, use the Scottish shower method, switching from hot water, to warm, and then to cold. Ending your shower by rinsing your hair in cold water for about 15 seconds (or as long as you can handle) locks in the conditioner and will make your hair supersoft and shiny. Related: Shiny Hair Secrets
2. Shampooing every day is drying to your hair and scalp. People don't realize that it's bad for your hair to constantly strip it of its natural oils. Instead, aim for two to three times a week - and on off days, rinse with water and condition only your ends. Related: Bring Your Hair Back to Life!
3. Do not rub wet hair-it will become impossible to style. Doing so with a towel or fingers will rough up the cuticle, causing tangles and frizz. To soak up excess water, flip your head upside down, wrap a towel around your head and gently twist it into a turban. Related: 50 Hairstyle Do's and Don'ts
4. Hair should be 70 percent dry before you use the blowdryer. Let hair air dry or wrap it in an absorbant towel to avoid the trauma of a too-hot dryer on soaking wet hair. Don't hold the dryer too close to your head and use your fingers to style your hair until it is about 80 percent dry. Then, once it can glide through your hair without resistance (i.e., tugging), bring out the brush. Related: Hairstyles in 15 Minutes or Less
5. Omega-3 fatty acids are the best-known follicle fuels. These vitamins can be found in cold-water fish like salmon, and protein (think nuts and cheese), says Oz Garcia, a nutritionist in New York City. Related: Get Your Dream Hair Now
- Surprising Beauty Tips that Work
- The New Rules for Hair Color
- Updos That Last All Night
- 33 Things Your Hairdresser Never Told You
- 50 Hairstyle Secrets for Amazing Hair