Photo: ThinkstockBy Amber Kallor
Bewildered by the big, chunky bracelets, earrings, and rings seen everywhere from Forever 21 to J.Crew? We asked the sister duo of Jodie and Danielle Snyder behind cult-favorite jewelry line, DANNIJO, how to pull off bold pieces.
RELATED: 6 Rules for Accessorizing
The DANNIJO guide for pulling off statement jewels:
1. Ease your way in. Start with a wide metal cuff--it makes a statement but isn't overwhelming, says Jodie and Danielle. Plus, it's easy to slip on and goes with everything. If a necklace is more your style, again, look for a neutral, all-metal design. They like versions that feature entangled chains or architectural pieces that are simple but graphic. "You'd be surprised how many 'simple pearls' women we've converted to the dark side!" they say.
2. Don't deck out every limb. "Though it works for some," says the duo, "You can end up looking like a hoarder gypsy." Instead, Jodie and Danielle love to wear different textures and sizes together-friendship bracelets with chain styles, studs, leather cuffs, and vintage finds-on ONE part of the body at a time. "It makes our arms look happy when we're working on the computer all day," they add.
3. Pair big accessories with casual clothes. When it comes to trickier pieces, like large bib-style necklaces, try their can-do-no-wrong ensemble: A t-shirt and jeans. It acts as a blank backdrop for more complicated jewelry. Too casual for your corporate office? Pair it with a plain blouse and neutral trousers instead.
4. Pay attention to necklines. Halters, plunging necklines, or over-the-shoulder-silhouettes compete with big necklaces. Opt for large earrings or an arm full of bracelets instead.
5. Stick to solids. While Jodie and Danielle say mixing statement pieces with patterned clothes makes for a bohemian vibe, plain shirts or dresses are more foolproof and keep the spotlight on your jewelry.
RELATED: Jennifer Lopez Spices Up Real Women's Wardrobes for Fall
More from O, The Oprah Magazine:
- 6 Key People to Know at Your Child's School
- Stylish Gifts That Give Back (for Under $100)
- 10 Ways to Beat the Back-to-School Blues
- What's for Dinner at Dr. Oz's House?
- Subscribe to O, The Oprah Magazine and save up to 78%