Channel your inner Marilyn for Valentine's Day and beyond!
-Brittany Roshelle Davis, BettyConfidential.com
Regardless of your hair color, one thing is certain: Red lips look hot on everyone. It's one of the reasons why Marilyn Monroe was such an iconic figure. A woman who steps out in red lipstick appears confident and sexy. Why? For starters, not many women are drawn to such a vibrant color. Red lipstick says you're making a statement…and you are. With a little hint of red on your lips, you're demanding everyone's attention in the room and making any guy there wish his girlfriend was as sexy as you. Sounds plain, awful doesn't it?!
A red lip has to be precise. If you're using a lipstick, first use a lip liner to line your lips, and then apply lipstick with a lip brush, blot, and then reapply the lipstick.
Don't forget the key to pulling off any red lip color is to have healthy nurtured lips. International make-up artist Jemma Kidd cautions, "No lipstick looks good on chapped lips and some matte lipsticks dry lips even more. Keep lips smooth and moisture with balm containing natural oils such as beeswax and SPF." Jemma also urges that red lips will be the focus of your face, so it's important to keep the rest of your make-up minimal.
Read on for our list of six red-hot lipsticks and glosses.
1. NP Set St. John lipgloss ($15, dermstore.com). The Holy Grail of Marilyn Monroe lip attire. This sparkly, red lipgloss is infused with shea butter to glide on easy. Did I mention it also smells like strawberries when applied?
2. Topshop Rio Rio lipstick ($10, us.topshop.com). This lipstick will give you a lavishing red color with a hint of orange that will last for hours.
3. Urban Decay Pocket Rocket Eric lip gloss ($19, ulta.com). Finally a lip color that will keep you looking red hot while watching a man in a suit strip to his boxers before your very eyes.
4. Rimmel London Moisture Renew Berry Queen lip color($6.99, cvs.com). This lipstick draws on a deeper berry red. It's a red color with a sophisticated nod to Marilyn's lip legacy.
5. L'Oréal Paris Infallible Le Rouge in Ravishing Red($9.95, drugstore.com). A longwearing lipstick infused with Vitamin E that conditions your lips while making you look utterly fabulous.
6. Jemma Kidd Makeup School Ultimate Lipstick Duo in Scarlett ($19, dermstore.com). Scarlett is a pure red lipstick. The other side of the wand contains a lip balm. If you prefer a sheer color, use the lip balm first, then apply the lipstick.
Brittany Roshelle Davis is a freelance writer who specializes in all things fabulous. Visit her site!
Read more articles on BettyConfidential.com