By Suze Yalof Schwartz, Glamour magazine
A while back, all of you wonderful women took this poll asking if you were an online shopper. More than half of you admitted that you're totally addicted, so to increase your e-commerce expertise, I asked Shopafrolic.com founders, sisters Liz Lange and Jane Wagman, for their top online shopping tips.
The sisters may sound and look familiar: Liz is well known for her chic maternity designs and Jane, for her graphic designs. So what made them start Shopafrolic.com? Aside from their day jobs, both are confessed shopaholics and thought their addiction (and the savvy know-how they picked up along the way) could help others. They post their favorite online fashion, accessory and beauty picks daily, sharing where they found it, why they love it, and how to wear it--all at the ready for you to click and buy. But before you do that, see what they have to say about buying online:
1. Read reviews! A lot of sites (everything from the Gap to drugstores) have user reviews. If a lot of people say the same thing, it's probably true.
2. Get to know your favorite brands in-store so when you shop online, you know the general fit of the brand and ultimately, what size to buy.
3. Don't be afraid of online returns. They're so easy and are often free! It's safe to order a few sizes/colors and try on in the comfort of your own home...in front of your own mirror, with your own accessories.
4. Get to know your body's size and measurements. (Have your local tailor or dry-cleaner measure you if it's easier.) You should be familiar with your waist, chest, hips, and even inseam and arm length if possible.
5. Speaking of sizing, DO look at size charts. All sites and brands run differently, and these charts are there to help you, so use them!
6. If it can't go right back on your credit card, meaning, the retailer will only offer you an online credit, rather than a full refund, do NOT buy it online!
7. It's NEVER a bargain (not even at 90 percent off!) if it doesn't work in your wardrobe or if it doesn't fit. For example, don't buy shoes that are too small thinking they'll "stretch out" because you've wanted them forever and now they're on sale. They'll just hurt your feet!
8. Make sure you know exactly what you are buying (not just how it looks on the model in the photo). Be sure to know the fabric, the cut, the length, etc. Oftentimes things look differently in pictures than they do in person.
What do you think is their most useful online shopping tip? What's your number one tip for buying on the web? Share!
MORE FROM GLAMOUR:
- How to Dress 10 Pounds Thinner
- 10 Easy Ways to Make Swimsuit Shopping Less Scary
- 7 "Bad" Foods That Are Secretly Good for You
- 10 Things He's Thinking When You're Naked
- 8 Sex Moves Every Woman Should Try Once
Photo Credit: Condé Nast Digital Studio