I don't know about you but I've been really getting into wearing dresses lately! Besides the fact that this season's dresses are super cute and come in gorgeous colors and patterns, they keep you cool and looking great at the same time! With all the options out there, it can be a challenge to find the right dress that flatters you body. I know about that frustration all too well! Having these curves and making sure my "girls" are accomodated, I can spend hours dress shopping! Luckily my wonderful friends from dressbarn are here to save you and me the trouble! Keith Fulsher, their Chief Merchandising Officer has wonderful tips on how to properly "dress" you body!
Pear-Shaped (bottom half of your body is larger than your upper half):
- Think classic cut - fitted on top and flared below.
- All-over patterns will add to the illusion of proportion.
- Knee-length full skirts can be very flattering as they create more length and don't cling to the lower half.
Long and Lean:
- 'Maxi'-mize! Longer-length dresses look great on a long and lean stature.
- Go Bold-a slimmer figure can handle bright colors and/or patterns.
- Create curves by choosing a dress with plenty of detail; think pockets, embellishment, belted waist patterns, etc.
- Closer-fitting, but not too-tight, styles are ideal for petites.
- Above-the-knee hems and higher-cut waists work well to elongate legs.
- Opt for ensembles that have just one standout embellishment (pockets, ruffles or bows). Too many will read 'little girl-ish.'
- Structured or belted dresses will best accentuate shape.
- Be cautious of fabric; bulky will add unwanted bulge. Think lightweight.
- Whether you choose a shirtdress or a sundress, remember to highlight your waist to create balance.
- V-necks or long necklaces will draw attention up toward your face and neckline which creates a visually slimming look.
What are your tips for buying the perfect dress?
Get Fierce for more beauty and fashion!
Photos courtesy of dressbarn