FabSugarSource: Beyond Camouflage: How to Wear Fall's Military-Inspired Pieces
The military-inspired look isn't a fleeting trend, and we've got the Fall '12 runways to back us up. Instead of just erring on the side of traditional camouflage prints and surplus army parkas, there's a new breed of structural pieces that point to an updated take on utilitarian silhouettes and cavalry-influenced details. Victoria Beckham presented a strong olive-green-and-black palette that gave way to a particularly feminine crop of military-inspired sheaths - not your average cargo dress. Altuzarra put a luxe fur-trimmed spin on parkas and khaki pants, Jason Wu toughened up his vest selection with a military twist, and Burberry provided the perfect balance of equestrian meets old-school military. As with any heavily themed trend, the trick is never to go overboard - one piece per ensemble is always enough. Thus, we're looking to incorporate the coolest military trench coat into our off-duty wardrobe, juxtapose a camo-printed jean against our favorite striped tops, and so on. Read on for tips on how to standout in camouflage, then shop our editor-curated picks here!
- Give your off-duty look a cool utilitarian twist, two ways. First, top off laid-back textures with a long, slick military coat. Then, add a structured lace-up bootie - we're loving the oxford slant here - for an on-trend finish.
- We love that this LBD is a no-fail Fall option, but to keep things interesting, its button-front details provide a more militaristic vibe. To maintain that slightly punched-up feel, accessorize with a crisp plaid print, a lug sole, and a fur collar.
- Even the most basic military-inspired pieces deserve a dose of printed intrigue. We think Alexander Wang's leopard-printed bag is the perfect offset to a mix-and-match military top, coated jeans, and cool-girl wedges.
- Try a preppier take on this season's beloved camouflage print. A striped turtleneck and a classic red shoulder bag add a more timeless effect.
- Juxtapose a slouchy, army-style park with polished pieces underneath. If you're really looking to have fun with it, play with proportions, too. We opted for a slim-fit pencil skirt with a looser textured sweater on top - with ankle boots for the finish.
The Prettiest Sweater + Blouse Color Combos For Fall
One Minute Makeover Tip: Add a Little (or a Lot) of Leopard
How to Pull Off Denim on Denim Like a Street-Style Pro
Follow FabSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of FabSugar on Facebook