Written by BounceBack Fashion & Style Expert Terry Lyons
It's late winter, the time of year when cold weather blues envelop us in warm coats and oversized scarves, smothering our motivation to do, well, almost anything. This feeling can be even worse if you've gone through a breakup or divorce, as many BounceBack members have told us. Our apartments have become caves, and we, slumbering bears. Lady Winter has turned our skin to paste and worn holes in the soles of our salt-stained boots. Layered clothing, a fashion that we welcomed and adored in November, is our newest nemesis, and unlike the friendly bear, we haven't been sleeping away the winter pounds. Yes, it's officially late winter, and who isn't ready for it to be over?
There is one bit of saving grace in that abysmal picture...it's time for Spring Fashion. At some point, someone in the Fashion Industry decided that it would be a brilliant idea to fill stores with cotton sundresses and teeny bikinis in the middle of blistering cold and dreary February. Great for business? Probably not. Great excuse to book a last minute vacation to any locale that serves umbrella drinks? Most certainly yes. Travel sites are full of last minute steals, and a weekend away with friends is definitely high on the list, especially when you're looking for support and fulfillment after a bad breakup or divorce.
Once you've recruited your friends, found a great price on a flight, and booked the perfect oceanfront room, it's time to focus on the top priority: what to pack. This Spring is all about soft colors, graceful lines, and fluid romantic designs - think the pastry scene in Marie Antoinette. Bold, neon colors and tough, edgy styles that graced the pages of glossies since Sex and the City reintroduced them to the world still have their place in your wardrobe, just in much smaller doses.
For this vacation, pack these 5 essential items that will look chic all season....
1. Statement Jewelry in Pastel Colors - These dress up even the simplest white tee.
2. Skin Toned Wedges - Wedges are a comfy way to add height, and the nude color will make your legs appear as long as Gisele's.
3. Crisp White Linen Button Down - Pop the collar, roll your sleeves, and pair it with cropped pants and a skinny camel belt (at the waist) for casual cocktails. The next day, toss it over your bikini to make a splash poolside.
4. One Shoulder Blush Pink Dress - Pair your new frock with silver accessories, and hit the town!
5. One-Piece Bathing Suit - Ladylike fashion is back, but make no mistake, these aren't your mother's strapless blousy numbers. The hot one-piece suits of the season are figure trimming, breast lifting bustiers in solid colors and thick vertical stripes. Pair your new suit with a flirty mini skirt for No Shower Happy Hour.
This winter, take advantage of travel deals and fashion steals and bring some warmth back into your heart. Don't hibernate, vacate!
Terry Lyons is a fashion stylist and manager of the New York City boutique Jessie James. She is a graduate of Loyola College in Maryland and has worked in multiple facets of the Fashion Industry. jessiejamesonline.com
BounceBack is changing the way people cope with heartbreak as a result of a breakup or divorce. BounceBack is a place to tell your story, get advice from experts, and share what you've learned with others in similar situations. We're here to remove the negative stigma around being heartbroken - this happens to everyone. And we believe everyone has the potential to bounce back to life and move forward. www.bouncebacktolife.com