It's no secret that the cold months leave our hands feeling dry and brittle. Um, and unattractive. Brutal wind and bitter temperatures cause them to crack and flake, a look that will never be in style...
Hand model Christina Amber has represented top national brands like Sally Hansen, Jergens, Nivea, Neutrogena and Maybelline; and has stood in for celebrities including Jennifer Love Hewitt, Kelly Ripa, Natalie Portman and Mia Hamm. Here, her secrets for keeping hands looking fresh and youthful during the winter months:
- Always keep a moisturizer with you to reapply throughout the day. Try Dermelect Timeless Anti-Aging Daily Hand Treatment. The 4 ounce container makes it super compact and easy to tote on-the-go.
- Think gloves! Gloves protect your hands from the cold winter weather---and are just as important indoors, too. To protect your skin from damaging chemicals, wear a plastic pair while doing housework.
- Avoid washing your hands with hot water, which opens pores and then dries out the skin. Wash with lukewarm water instead. MORE: 7 Superfoods that Can Turn Back Time
- Limit use of harsh antibacterial soaps, which can also leave skin dry and brittle. Instead, look for formulas with hydrating and nourishing ingredients. And go ahead and keep using that instant hand sanitizer to help prevent catching a cold---most of these products, like Purell, have emollients (moisturizers) in them.
So, how do you keep your hands in top shape?
More from FITNESS Magazine:
- Anti-Aging Skin Care Advice: What to do and when to do it
- Festive (and Easy!) Party Looks: Makeup tips that let you sparkle this season
Your Prettiest Skin Ever: Why your sleeping position matters and more
- HOLIDAY GIFT IDEA: Subscribe to FITNESS Magazine for tons more expert tips.