It didn't come as that much of a surprise that Prince William gave his fiancée Kate Middleton his mother Princess Diana's engagement ring. He adored and very much loved his mother and this is a lovely way to pay tribute to his dear and departed mom. But will the ring carry with it some kind of curse? Not only did Prince Charles and Princess Diana's marriage not last, but Princess Diana's life ended in a very dramatic and traumatic way. Is it a cool or creepy gesture? Here are 9 facts about the ring that was bestowed upon Kate Middleton…what do you think?
9. Huge oval sapphire that is supposed by 14 brilliant-cut diamonds.
8. The ring is heavy! The sapphire is a stunning 18 carats.The band is gold.
7. Garrard Jewelers is the official crown jeweler for the British monarchy and has been since 1843.
6. Prince Charles had a variety of engagement rings made by Garrard Jewelers and presented them to his fiancée.
5. The ring wasn't custom made, rather it was one that was featured in Garrard Jewelers regular catalog and had a price tag of $65,000 (at 1981 exchange rates). That the ring had not been specially made for Diana caused a bit of a stir back in the day.
To find out the top four facts about the ring, including when Prince Charles presented the ring to Diana (hint: it wasn't right away!), head to Famecrawler.
MORE ON BABBLE:Prince William Engaged: Will Prince Harry Be Next?
Kate Middleton Bikini: Style Icon Can Rock a Two-Piece! (Photos)
Ten Things You Never Knew About Kate Middleton