We might not share in the German fervor for David Hasselhoff, but there is a guilty pleasure Germans have that is shared in the U.S.: the tanning bed (or as they call it, the solarium.) But the German parliament aims to fix that. Last week, they passed a law that bans people under the age of 18 from visiting solariums (roughly 4 million people under 18 visit them at least once a month!). The parliament hopes this law will decrease the abundance of melanoma and other forms of skin cancer in the country-about 140,000 cases of skin cancer develop each year.
More reasons to skip the tanning bed, regardless of your age.
-- Erin Flaherty
image via http://commons.wikimedia.org
More from Allure's Daily Beauty Reporter:
- Get Youthful Skin: The simple things you can do to take years off your face.
- Editors' Favorites: Discover our latest beauty obsessions each weekday.
- Summer Innovations: The best new formulas that make skin glow, keep underarms dry, prevent poufy hair, and more.
- Free Stuff: Enter to win this year's Readers' Choice winners.
- Best of Beauty Sexy Products: These mascaras, shadows, lipsticks, and more are the tools of seduction.