Soon after, The Daily Star reported that Peaches was knocked because she inadvertently inhaled ammonia fumes from her hair dye. And that's when we went crazy. Is dyeing your hair dangerous?Relax, says Jim Hammer, a cosmetic chemist.
"Though inhaling too much ammonia could certainly give the feeling of being unable to catch your breath, it's uncommon for people to collapse from ammonia fumes," he says.
In addition to the permanent and demi-permanent dyes that often contain ammonia, it's also in items we use day to day, like household cleaning products.
Though episodes like Peaches's aren't common, nervous types might want to check out ammonia-free demi-permanent dyes, which emit much less odor, says Hammer.
As for everyone else, Hammer advises using ammonia-infused products in areas with adequate ventilation and-this goes without saying-"Don't intentionally sniff the product in the container."
--image via www.telegraph.co.uk
Enter to Win the Best Fashion and Beauty Loot!
August may be the sweatiest, frizziest month of the year, but it has an upside-34,328 of them, in fact. That's the number of free fashion and beauty items we're giving away.
Inside Allure: Behind-the-scenes at the August cover shoot with Victoria Beckham
View outtakes and photos of her looks through the years-and get exclusive scoop from our shoot.
Ready to slim down, tone up, and look your best?
Sign up for allure.com's new and improved Total Makeover diet, fitness, and beauty program. Just by registering, you'll be entered to win today's prize, plus the grand prize spa trip for two.
- Subscribe to Allure right now and get a FREE TOTE BAG!