By Jamie Wheeler, Intent.com
Supermodel Cindy Crawford once said, "They were doing a full back shot of me in a swimsuit and I thought, Oh my God, I have to be so brave. See, every woman hates herself from behind."
Just think of it… if a woman near perfection has doubts about her body, what hope is there for us, mere mortals?
Well, while most of us are not supermodels, there are ways to pick the most flattering suit for your body type and feel more secure by accentuating the positives and diminishing the negatives. Here are some tips for choosing the right swimsuit.
If you are well-endowed in the chest, follow these guidelines:
· Choose bright colors or prints. Dark colors can look frumpy.
· Choose a top that lifts and separates.
· Look for a top with an underwire to maintain and lift your breasts.
· Try horizontal stripes on the bottom half to detract from the upper.
· Tankinis with a flirty skirt will also lessen the bust-line.
If you have a small chest, there are many ways to enhance your bust-line.
· Bandeau-styles, like the one shown here, and halter neck lines give the illusion of a larger chest.
· Slight padding, such as gel-cupped liners, enhances your natural cleavage.
· Horizontal stripes also create a visually larger bust.
Good news! Big hips are now very popular, thanks to celebrities like Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce.
· Go for a string bikini; avoid "boy shorts." Your ample hips will look better with a bit of an accent rather than trying to keep them contained.
· A darker bikini bottom in the string style will work well with a lighter color top and a plunging front.
If you feel like you need help in the stomach area, go for a swimsuit with a "control panel." As you see here, they are very discreet and enhance your shape.
If a control panel seems too restrictive try a tankini. A tankini covers up problematic areas but allows more freedom of movement.
Lacking curves? Create some with suits designed to make your boyish figure appear more girlie. This style of suit has been made extremely popular by thin, boyish-figured celebrities like Paris Hilton.