By Tracey Lomrantz, Glamour magazine
We've all been there before: You're headed into an important meeting (or a wedding, job interview, or the first time you're meeting your guy's parents) when a button that's been threatening to loosen itself for days finally decides to pop. What can you do to save yourself from embarrassment, especially if it's in a highly visible spot?
My boyfriend brought home an issue of Men's Health last week and while I read through just about every page (I even got an amazing sea bass recipe!), I was especially excited about a little tip I picked up from their "How to Do Everything Better" guide. Here's how to fix a popped button in a hurry:
1. Find a twist tie--they recommend snagging one from a loaf of bread, which should be easy enough at a restaurant, hotel, or friend's house--and strip away the paper.
2. Position the button in the spot it just popped off from and poke one end of the wire through a thread hole from the underside; guide it through the corresponding buttonhole, and bring it back down through the diagonally opposite hole.
3. Twist up the ends and poke them through one of the unused button holes.
4. If you can find tape, cover up the loose ends with it to avoid being poked or snagging your clothes.
This is why I love men's magazines--a totally pragmatic approach to a totally annoying problem! It may not be the most elegant of solutions, but I bet with a dark colored button, nobody will be able to tell.
Pretty smart, huh? What do you do when you lose a button at an inopportune time? Would you try this twist tie trick? Share!
More from Glamour:
- 10 Things He's Thinking When You're Naked
- 19 Cute Celebrity Haircuts to Consider
- 8 Sex Moves Every Woman Should Try Once
- 12 Secret Signs He's Into You
- 21 Gorgeous Wedding Dresses (From $100 to $1,000!)
Photo Credit: Condé Nast Digital Studio