Getty ImagesMarilyn Monroe famously said "diamonds are a girl's best friend," but maybe she should have said shoes. In a new study, over 92% of women could remember the first pair of shoes they bought with their own money, but more than one in three women polled could not recall their first kiss. Seriously?! We thought a first kiss was supposed to be a monumental occasion! Over 1,000 women were questioned for a survey on tszuji.co.uk about their relationship with footwear in contrast to their romantic history, and the results were really surprising. While 96% of these ladies regretted throwing away a pair of shoes, only 15% of them felt badly about dumping a boyfriend. Ouch!
Experts say these findings may be a result of women purchasing shoes for special, memorable occasions like weddings or birthdays, but wouldn't you think they'd recall or care more about their romantic memories than which heels were on their feet at the time? The website director Glendon Lloyd said, "These results show that women are even more attached to their footwear than previously thought. People always think of women storing old love letters in a shoebox, but in many cases, the shoes themselves are even more precious."
A few facts about ladies and their footwear:
- The average woman has 19 pairs of shoes
- Four of these pairs are worn regularly, one-fourth of them have only been worn once
- One in six women owns over 30 pairs
- Women purchase four new pairs every year
- One in seven have hidden a new pair of shoes from their partner
- Six in ten women regret at least one shoe purchase