By Marissa Gold, REDBOOK
Every new year means hundreds of new beauty products out there to tempt us. We know how it is -- you spot them from afar in CVS or Bloomingdale's and get lured in by the cute packaging and pretty colors. But which ones are actually standouts that are worth your money? Whether you've got $5 or $75 to spend, here are some beauty buys we've tried and tested. If you've been eyeing something on this list, go ahead and get it -- it'll be worth it.
$5 and Under: Maybelline Express Finish Nail Color, $4.25: Gorgeous colors, easy-to-use brush, and super-fasy dry time. What's not to love about these polishes?
$10 and Under: Korres Lip Butter, $10: These sheer lip balms give color like a gloss but feel like the most buttery, moisturizing treatments ever.
$15 and Under: L'Oreal True Match Roller Foundation, $14.95: We were foundation snobs until we tried this product. It covers better, lasts longer, and feels silkier than more expensive brands - sold! It even has enough coverage to take care of undereye circles.Related: 11 Trends to Try In 2011
$20 and Under: MAC Cosmetics Paint Pot, $16.50: These cream eye shadows provide intense, gorgeous color that doesn't fade away. The new collection of wearable metallic hues is universally flattering - and the generous pots will last you forever.
$25 and Under: Stila Long Wear Liquid Lip Color, $22: Some women are into glossy lips. Some just want their color to last ALL DAY. If you're in the latter category, these color-saturated stains will be your new secret weapon.
$30 and Under: Oscar Blandi At Home Hair Glaze, $25: Even if your hair color comes from the drugstore shelf, you can add a touch of luxe salon finishing with Oscar Blandi's clear home glaze. Use it a few weeks after color to add back some shine.Related: The Lazy Girl's Guide to Looking Gorgeous
$35 and Under: Karin Herzog Vita-A-Kombi 3 Cream, $32.25: Celebs rely on this line for its targeted skincare treatments, and this spot-banishing cream is a top-seller. The high oxygen content kills bacteria, so it's your best bet to zap a zit overnight. Pros also use it on cold sores and to help heal/fade old scars.
$40 and Under: Kiehl's Soy Milk & Honey Whipped Body Butter, $35: When winter leaves your legs scaly and your elbows dry, nothing but a thick, creamy body butter like this one will do. The milk and honey scent will also lift your spirits, even if it's 2 degrees outside.Related: Dresses That Make You Look Amazing
$50 and Under: Skyn ICELAND Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels, $45: Whether you're exhausted, had a good cry, or just need to relax, these cooling eye pads de-puff and reduce wrinkles in just 10 minutes. The skin-toning elastin, line-plumping hexapeptide, and puffiness-curing Gingko biloba make them well worth the price.
And 3 Picks Over $50:
- Bobbi Brown Pretty Powerful Palette, $60: If you're ready to give your makeup collection an overhaul but don't know where to begin, these palettes from guru Bobbi Brown are one big step in the right direction. You'll get four eye shadows, a blush, and three lip colors, all perfectly coordinated.
- CANE+AUSTIN Retexturizing Treatment Pads, $60: There are plenty of glycolic acid pads on the market, but they don't all give results like this. The 10% glycolic formula really shrinks pores and evens skin tone. Use one a day for 30 days, or space out the use if you have sensitive skin (or want to make your investment last longer).
- Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion AM Moisturizer, $78: Skin cells are constantly shedding, and retinol products help speed up the process, revealing newer, younger skin. The problem? They also leave you more exposed to UV rays, and traditionally are only used at night. The solution? Peter Thomas Roth developed this daytime retinol formula, which contains a sunscreen and is specially designed to work on those dead, dull skin cells safely all day long.
More from REDBOOK:
Could You Go a Week Without Yelling?
Have the Hottest Sex of Your Life…with Your Husband
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- Get a Flat Tummy in 2 Minutes
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.