Don't just stand there in your undies, staring at your clothes in despair. Listen to Tim Gunn, fashion expert, Project Runway mentor, and the creative brain behind Liz Claiborne's exclusive new line at JC Penney. He's the go-to guy for classic, looks-good-on-everyone style.
"Hey, Tim! What should I wear today?"
These basics, mixed and matched, will help you get through the week without looking like you've worn the same piece more than once.
The Plaid Skirt
"The silhouette of a classic, slim, pencil-style skirt is very flattering for most women," says Tim. (We love the oversize print!) Plus, 60% of men love the sung fit of a pencil skirt. (See what else men find sexy.)
"It can easily be dressed up or down, and makes any outfit look instantly fresh," Tim says. Try these other double-duty items that go from day to night with minimal effort.
"Every woman should own a well-fitting little black dress - it's forever chic," Tim says. Here are four other dresses every woman should own.
"I'm not a fashion stylist, I'm a fashion therapist."
Learning how to add attitude to a few closet staples is the key to fashion success. Start with these timeless classics made famous by fashion icons and still gorgeous today.
The Plaid Skirt Cops an Attitude
Balance the preppy mood of this clean-cut skirt with an easygoing denim shirt, then have more fun with accessories (like these major boots). Learn how to rock the boot trends of the season.
The LBD Gets a Downtown Spin
Layer the LBD over a crisp button-down and jewel-tone tights and the whole look gets funky. Think you can't wear legwear? Think again!
"No woman needs to look dowdy or matronly - ever."
Masculine clothes may have their place in fashion, but be sure you mix a little boy with girl in your outfits to keep looking sexy and feminine.
The Anorak Goes Evening
Give this ultra-sporty jacket some sex appeal with glam items like a sequin scarf, skinny pants, and strappy heels. Who says you can't hit a swanky new restaurant in this? Check out other coats to warm up your LBD.
TIM'S RULES TO LIVE BY
1. SILHOUETTE: "When getting dressed, think of your body as a series of thirds; the worst thing you can do is cut yourself in half. Pair a top that ends at your waist (one third) with long pants (two thirds), or wear a knee-length dress that goes no longer than the bottom of your kneecap." If you personalize for your body type, you can rock any trends.
2. PROPORTION: "If you have something loose and blousy on top, whatever you wear below should be sleek and well fitted to serve as a counterpoint, and vice versa." If you personalize for your body type, you can rock any trends.
3. FIT: "Most women wear clothes that are too big - that's the comfort trap. Women don't want to feel constrained, but I say, if you want to dress to feel as though you never got out of bed, then don't." As the weather gets colder, learn how to layer.
More from REDBOOK:
- The Easiest Way to Get a Bikini Body
What's Your Mom Personality?
- Find the Right Bra, Lose Five Pounds
- Diet Myths That Make You Fat
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save up to 82%!
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.