By Petra Guglielmetti, Glamour magazine
I know, sounds stupid, right? A messy ponytail is supposed to be messy, so you shouldn't need "secrets" to creating one. But as I'm sure you know by now, this cute look just isn't as simple as wearing the pony you throw in when washing your face before bed.
That's why I was so excited to get this messy-pony how-to from Rodney Cutler (he's the guy who styled Fergie's cool updo and then did mine the same way after my failed attempt to copy her--remember?). For the Banana Republic Spring/Summer 2011 runway show earlier this week, Rodney gave the models this supercute messy ponytail look.
The secrets to this perfectly messy pony:
1. Spritz volumizing spray all over towel-dried hair and then blowdry it while twisting random sections. This is how you get that sexy rough texture, plus added volume.
2. Pull the hair into a loose pony at the nape of your neck, but be careful not to flatten the cool texture you created while blowdrying. Secure with an elastic that matches your hair.
3. Loosen a few pieces at the crown to add to the un-polished look. Just don't go too nuts; don't pull them fully out of the elastic or anything.
4. Spray Redken Wool Shake 08 throughout the pony's tail (seriously, this stuff rocks--just use sparingly!) to give it awesome bedheady texture.
What are your secrets to getting a messy ponytail to look cute, not like a hot mess?
Happy weekend everyone!! If you're bored, check out more awesome hair how-tos from my friends at Cutler salon (they are so great!).
More from Glamour:
- How to Find Your Body's Best Jeans
- 19 Cute Celebrity Haircuts to Consider
- 8 Sex Moves Every Woman Should Try Once
- Why He Hasn't Proposed (Yet)
- 10 Things He's Thinking When You're Naked
Photo Credit: courtesy of Cutler Salon