By now, you've sorted our your New Year's resolutions, maybe even tried something new and daring style-wise, but are you still feeling a teeny bit blah in the hair department? If you're feeling hella daring, why not try a hair color? We've got four tips straight from the pages of Glamour's February 2011 issue to make sure you get it right each and every time you DIY dye.
1. Do a patch test. Before dyeing, apply color to a hidden chunk of hair behind your ear to get a preview of the results.
2. Protect your skin. To avoid staining your skin, rub petroleum jelly onto your hairline and ears. And wear gloves!
3. Apply it right. Aim the applicator at your scalp, work the color in from the roots to the ends, then comb through.
4. Set a timer. Leave dye on for the full amount of time listed in the instructions. Rinse with lukewarm water.
So, now that you've got the steps, are you feeling antsy to try it out? Browse some hair color options here, and then take a peek at these celebs who switched up their normal hair color routines:
Khloe Kardashian as a redhead
Lauren Conrad as a golden brunette
Emma Stone as a blonde
Michelle Williams in platinum
...and Juliette Lewis in blue!
Have any of you ladies switched up your color lately? What was your transformation, and how did it turn out? Anyone else planning on trying something new soon?
More from Glamour:
- How to Find Your Body's Best Jeans
- 19 Cute Celebrity Haircuts to Consider
- 8 Sex Moves Every Woman Should Try Once
- Why He Hasn't Proposed (Yet)
- 10 Things He's Thinking When You're Naked
Illustration: Grant Cowan