How much money do you make? An impolite question? Perhaps. But who doesn't wonder, "What does that guy make for doing his job?" (Or, more likely: 'Am I getting shafted on my own salary?') In Parade Magazine's Annual What People Earn Issue, they take the guesswork out of salary suspicions. Here's a roundup of Parade's pay profiles, for all you salary stalkers out there - plus a few takeaways for your own career decisions.
|-- Business Travel Diet: 8 Rules to Lose Weight|
|-- Dream Jobs: 6-Figure Salaries You Can Get|
|-- Job Interview? 9 Great Ways to Get to Round 2|
|-- Are You Getting Paid Enough?|
|-- True Tales: Job Interview Meltdowns|
Real Jim Halpert (aka The Office's resident good-looking, good guy)
- Who: Ross McArthur, 26, a sales executive from Scranton, Pa.
- What He Makes: $70,000
- What We Learned: Sales can pay-but maybe not well enough to buy a $1.8 million home in LA's
- Sunset Strip, like John Krasinski did in '09.
Mark Zuckerberg in the Making
- Who: Angela Ten Clay, 25, a social-media manager from Des Moines, Iowa
- What She Makes: $42,000
- What We Learned: A solid middle-class salary like this one puts social media on the mainstream employment map. (Of course, inventing a Social Network pays better - Zuckerberg made $7 billion last year.)
- Who: Virginia Horne, 32, ballet dancer, from New York City
- What She Makes: $16,800
- What We Learned: Dancing is like acting - or writing, for that matter. Even in this Black Swan moment, you don't take to the stage for the paycheck.
- Who: Frank Stile, 44, plastic surgeon, from Las Vegas, Nevada
- What He Makes: $1 million
- What We Learned: Know your market. Women whose looks are their livelihood and for whom aging is the enemy? We see why he's winning big in Sin City.
- Who: Bryan Birchem, 43, Fedex pilot from O'Fallon, Ill.
- What He Makes: $147,748
- What We Learned: Explore different jobs in your industry (especially if yours, like the airline business, is shrinking). We bet Birchem prefers his silent passengers to screaming babies and other tired travelers.
(Legal) Drug Dealer
- Who: Deanna Candek, 38, a pharmacist from Vail, Ariz.
- What She Makes: $127,054
- What We Learned: Learning a trade is still a solid way to secure a steady salary.
- Who: Stephen Popa, 41, a choir director from Lima, Ohio
- What He Makes: $48,601
- What We Learned: Popa tells Parade that his day-to-day doesn't involve hanging with Gwyneth Paltrow: "The frustrations of a music teacher are the same ones any teacher has."
What salaries are you curious about? Which of these surprised you and why? Please sign in below and share your thoughts. And for more career advice, follow @MWOnTheJob on Twitter.
©2011 CBS Interactive Inc., a CBS Company. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
More on MoneyWatch: