WHAT'S FOR DINNER
MUST-READ FOOD STORIES
More »21 food superstitious we still believe
Michael's Pizzeria in Long Beach, California is calling itself the number one pizza spot in America according … More »Fighting words: L.A. restaurant claims to make country's best pizza
COOK THIS TONIGHT
- Tue, Nov 26, 2013 1:42 PM EST | CommentsFor not much money, and very little time, you can whip up homemade treats guaranteed to wow: savory crackers, gourmet salts, delectable decadent marshmallows, and more.
See more from CountryLiving.com:
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.
- Oprah.com | Shine Food | Tue, Nov 26, 2013 5:28 PM EST | CommentsBy Marcia Kiesel
Photo: Tina Rupp
Curried Mashed Potato-Turkey Soup
Bored of turkey sandwiches? Try this flavorful soup as an unexpected way to reuse a few holiday favorites.
Get the recipe: Curried Mashed Potato-Turkey Soup
Related: 6 Easy Pie Recipes Anyone Can Bake
Mushroom, Turkey, and Potato Pie
This delicious casserole-made with roast turkey, green beans, onion, mushrooms, mashed potatoes and fresh sage-is the perfect solution to an overstuffed fridge.
Get the recipe: Mushroom, Turkey, and Potato Pie
Read More: 5 Basics We're All Cooking Wrong
Turkey Hash Patties
Forget turkey burgers! Serve a couple of these patties with a salad for a simple, no-fuss dinner that's ready in 30 minutes.
Get the recipe: Turkey Hash Patties
More from Oprah.com:
- Homemade holiday gifts everyone will rave about
- 4 books you can devour in one long weekend
- Celebrities' best advice for taking-and overcoming-criticism
- 4 mantras from the calmest man in the w
- Food52 | Shine Food | Wed, Nov 27, 2013 9:19 AM EST | Comments
Spaghetti carbonara is one of those dishes that you talk about the entire time you're eating it. It's impossible not to comment on how tasty it is -- hot, salty, a little creamy, a tad smoky. A handful of simple ingredients tossed together result in such pasta perfection that it's a little bit creepy. It makes you wonder the whole time you're twirling your pasta why you don't make it every night, for every dinner, forever.
Well, you shouldn't. But you should make it every week. You should have a "Carbonara Night," and your quality of life will improve, we promise. Pair it with a simple, bright chard salad, and you have yourself dinner tonight.
Serves 4 to 6
1/4 pound guanciale or pancetta, cut into 1/3-inch cube
7 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1 pound spaghetti
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup freshly-grated Pecorino, plus more for garnish
1. Put guanciale in a larg...Read More »
- Everyday Food | Shine Supper Club | Wed, Nov 27, 2013 10:14 AM EST | Comments"Have you ever eaten pasta puttanesca? If you have, then you know that the best part of the dish is the irresistibly complex sauce of tomatoes, capers, olives, and anchovies. Today, I've let those much-loved flavors act as the inspiration behind this chicken puttanesca dish (but I've left out the anchovies, so no need to worry if you're not a fan). Served with some orzo pasta, this super-easy dish is just the thing to make on the eve of Thanksgiving. Bon appetit!"
-Everyday Food's Sarah Carey
Chicken Puttanesca with Orzo
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
3 tablespoons capers plus 1 tablespoon brine
4 chicken cutlets (about 1 pound)
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
Related: 20 Classic Comfort Food Recipes from Martha Stewart
1. Cook orzo according to package instructions; drain and transfe
- Sarah B. Weir, Shine Senior Writer | Everything Guide to Entertaining | Tue, Nov 26, 2013 4:42 PM EST | Comments
4,500—that's what the Calorie Control Council estimates most of us consume during our annual holiday feast. If you aren't up to speed on daily calorie allowances, the average adult requires only about half that number spread over a whole day. You won't put on a significant amount of weight eating one humungous meal, but you will stress your digestive system and feel bloated, groggy, and maybe even nauseated.How many calories does it take to induce the average American's Thanksgiving food coma? About
More on Yahoo: Thanksgiving Hanukkah Overlap Spurs Thanks, Angst
The irony is, many of the components of a Thanksgiving meal are actually very nutritious and not especially high in calories: turkey, vegetables, salads, fall fruits. "Food is meant to be enjoyed," Angela Lemond, RDN, national spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, tells Yahoo Shine. "You can make your meal smarter and not sacrifice flavor." Lemond likes to use healthy fats like olive oil, experiment with br...Read More »
- Banana Bread with Dark Chocolate Chips Shine Food