With spring just around the corner we instinctively start thinking fresh and light. Weekly menu planning begins to trend away from beef stew and cornbread to things we can pick up at the farmer's market or corner produce stand. Fresh vegetables and lighter proteins help us usher in spring with a healthy resolve. The only thing better than eating fresh and light food is being able to assemble your own fresh and light food. Here's a great recipe the whole family will enjoy - making and eating!
Asian Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps Recipe
2 cups cooked and pulled chicken breast, chopped into 1/2" pieces
1 small can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 small can Mandarin orange segments, drained very well, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/2 cup cashews, chopped
1/2 cup celery, trimmed and chopped
1/4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ground wasabi peas (optional)
Romaine lettuce hearts, washed, trimmed, and drained
1. Combine all ingredients except wasabi peas and Romaine.
2. Chill for at least three hours.
1. Stuff a Romaine leaf with salad and sprinkle with a small amount of wasabi peas on top if desired.
2. Wrap the lettuce around stuffing and eat with your hands.
1. To improve the texture of the chicken, pull it apart from the whole breast first and then cut into 1/2" pieces.
2. Let the orange segments drain for several minutes before adding them to the salad, as they contain a lot of moisture that can make the salad watery.
3. If using the wasabi peas, place them in a food processor and pulsate until you have small, almost powdery bits. They are very hot, so use sparingly.
4. Romaine lettuce hearts are used in this recipe because the leaves are already shaped into edible boats. They result in less waste than using iceberg lettuce leaves.
Serve with hot Japanese onion and mushroom soup and fresh berries for dessert.
More from Cherri: