Granny wraps, also known as ballet wraps, or simply, shawls, are a great way to add extra dimension and interest to your outfits this fall. The look made its fashion debut on the runway. Designers Marc Jacobs and Missoni both used the stole to create a new silhouette on the runway.
This is one runway look that the average Jane can pull off successfully, and for much less than the designer versions. Have fun with this flattering look with the following tips.
Granny wrap styles
Check your closet first for an oversized shawl and a pretty broach. Anything from a cable knit to a soft
How to wear a granny wrap
- Wrap the shawl around your shoulders so that the fabric covers both your shoulders and upper arms.
- Secure in place by tying it securely or with a pretty pin. An over-sized safety pin creates a more modern look.
- A granny wrap can also be shrugged off your shoulders for a stylish look especially with a strapless top.
- Take your cue from ballerinas and instead of tying your shawl in a granny wrap style, continue wrapping the ends to the back and tie to create a secure shrug.
What to wear with a granny wrap
A little black dress may have you instinctively reaching for a granny wrap, but do not limit yourself to just fancy events. The granny wrap can pull a casual outfit up a few notches.
- Consider pairing a bold shawl with a plain t-shirt and jeans. The color of the shawl will draw eyes up to your face while the draping fabric adds a feminine touch without any extra effort.
- Use this sweet shoulder covering as another way to extend the life of your sundresses and summer blouses as the temperatures start to turn.
More by Sylvie Branch: