If you think only dowdy, old matrons have gray hair, think again. Gray hairstyles for mature women with short hair are in fashion. Think Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly in 'The Devil Wears Prada'. Consider Jamie Lee Curtis with her perky pixie cut. Imagine Sharon Stone - certainly no one would ever consider Ms. Stone of 'Basic Instincts' fame as anything but sexy. Celebrity women of a certain age are going short and gray. If you're considering going au naturel, you will be in good company.
Here are three good reasons to let your hair return to its natural color.
1. Hair color, even chemical free hair color, can damage hair.
2. The need to color once every four to six weeks is inconvenient.
3. Gray hair looks fantastic and can make any woman look mature and classy.
Follow these three tips while you switch from colored hair to your natural gray, and you will look fabulous during the process.
1. If your hair is not short, find a short haircut that you like, and restyle your hair.
2. Find a good colorist and work with him/her, but make sure your colorist understands your intent to let your hair grow into its natural color.
3. While growing your hair out, consider using permanent semi-permanent hair colors in your naturally evolving shade.
You may not be a celebrity, but you can follow in their footsteps. After all, they pay big money to receive top professional styling advice and, taking advantage of that advice, have decided to cut their hair and let it go gray.
- Judi Dench and Jamie Lee Curtis wear pixie cuts. Each, in their own way, have created an image of cute and sassy youthfulness.
- Meryl Streep, as Miranda Priestly, has a formal business like hairstyle that lets everyone know she is at the top of her profession. You would not want to mess with her.
- Tyne Daly's upsweep is sophisticated and pulled together. Obviously maturity has brought a glamour that was lacking in her 'Cagney and Lacey' days.
- Helen Mirren has a regal and yet sexy short gray style; from business casual to ballroom elegance, it will take her anywhere.
- Joan Baez, a woman of a certain age still always on the go, favors an easy care no fuss, no muss style.
When all is said and done, you may end up a glamorous gray, a stunning silver, or wonderful white. No matter what color is your au naturel, you will look sensational with short hair. You won't want to color your hair again.