We're all for healthy eating around here, and the salad bar is one of the tastiest and easiest places to do just that. As of late, however, we've been noticing some ridiculous behavior that really got us thinking: What is it about salad bars that somehow transport everyone back to first grade? You get in line, and suddenly, it's all "Hey, no cutting!" and "Did you really just put your fingers in your mouth and then touch the same thing I'm about to?" We identified our biggest pet peeves and put together a simple list of ways to get your greens quickly, painlessly, and - most important - hygienically for everyone involved. By Paige Carlotti, REDBOOK.
These beautifully organized bins somehow lead to total anarchy. 1. Here's the thing about sneeze guards: While they're fairly useful at stopping people from spewing germs directly onto the produce, their efficacy level plummets if you sneeze into your hand and then pick up the tongs.
2. Save it for the water cooler, people. The salad bar is a place to toss some veggies onto a dish and get on with your day, not park it in front of the croutons to catch up on Game of Thrones.
Related: 31 Days of Snacks for Grown-Ups
3. Caesar and honey mustard dressing were never meant to mix. Give the ladle a second to ditch any drips before carefully bringing it towards your plate.
4. Please keep the line moving. Even if it's your first trip to a particular salad bar - *spoiler alert* - they all have the same basic layout and offerings. If you're someone who takes a lot of time to make selections, maybe do a lap from a distance before getting in the actual serving queue. But please avoid helicoptering.
5. Helicoptering (v): When someone who isn't in line keeps looking over your shoulder to see what's at the buffet.
Related: 21 Ways to Burn Fat Faster
6. Once those chick peas are in your container, they're your property - and there they must stay. You don't have to eat them, but no one wants to pick up someone else's rejected cherry tomatoes from the corn bin.
7. Unlike the fro-yo place, the salad bar isn't free-sample-palooza. We all know what walnuts taste like, so please remove your fingers from the bin and keep the line moving.
8. If you're going to stand there picking the tomatoes out of the Caprese salad, might we direct you to the bin of just tomatoes right over there? You're throwing off everyone else's Caprese ingredient ratio.
Related: 25 Lazy Ways to Burn Extra Calories Just Like That
9. If you drop some toppings on the counter while transferring them to your plate, consider them casualties of war that should remain where they now lie.
10. We know you "forgot to get peppers; do you mind if I just get in there for a second?" Yes, yes we do.
More from REDBOOK: