By Lindsey Emery
This super-effective workout routine designed by Susan Moran-Perich, vice president of Power Pilates in New York City, combines cardio and pilates to beat belly flab.
The routine: Do all of the core exercises, followed by two minutes of cardio. Repeat the sequence three times; it'll take about 21 minutes.
What you'll need: An exercise mat and a jump rope (optional).
Single Leg Stretch1. Single-Leg Stretch
Strengthens abdominals, stretches, hip flexors
• Lie faceup, knees into chest, abs engaged.
• Lift head, place left hand on right knee, right hand at right ankle, and extend left leg 45 degrees.
• Pull right knee into chest while reaching left leg out and up.
• Switch legs and hands.
• Do 20 reps total, continuing to alternate legs.
Related: Flat Abs Fast: Core-Strengthening Workout
Double-Leg Lower/Lift2. Double-Leg Lower/Lift
• Lie faceup, abs engaged.
• Place hands under the bottom of your spine.
• Lift head and extend legs over hips.
• Lower legs toward floor for 3 counts, then lift up for 1 count.
• Do 10 reps.
Strengthens obliques, stretches back and hamstrings
• Sit with legs a bit wider than mat, arms out to sides at shoulder height, abs engaged, back straight.
• Twist to the right for 3 counts, reaching your pinky finger past your pinky toe, keeping butt on floor.
• Return to center; twist to the left.
• Do 3 reps on each side.
Related: The 10 Best Foods for Flat Abs
Strengthens abdominals, hips, hamstrings
• Lie on your right side along the back of the mat, with legs, hips, and shoulders stacked.
• Lean on your right elbow and bring legs to the front corner of the mat. Kick left leg forward twice, then swing leg behind you in a sweeping motion.
• Do 10 reps; switch sides and repeat.
Related: Best Ab Exercises from Around the World
Double-Leg Stretch5. Double-Leg Stretch
Strengthens abdominals, stretches lower back and hip flexors
• Lie faceup, head lifted, knees into chest, abs engaged.
• Straighten arms overhead, in line with ears, while extending legs 45 degrees. Keep legs still and head lifted as you circle arms wide to your sides, then hug knees back into chest. Do 5 slow reps, then 5 faster reps.
6. Cardio Burst
• Jump rope, jog in place, or do high knee or butt kicks.
• Repeat full sequence 2 more times.
More from FITNESS Magazine:
15-Minute Fat Blaster Workout
The Tae Bo Resistance Band Workout
By Lindsey Emery