by Jessica Smith, REDBOOK
Try these tricks every day to trim down before beach season.
1. Eliminate excess water weight with lemon. Squeeze lemon juice into your water throughout the day for a natural diuretic. Drink at least eight glasses a day, more if you are very active or sweating. You'll stay hydrated during the warmer weather, while getting rid of belly bloat.
2. Eat lots of water-filled foods such as watermelon and cucumber salads. You'll fill up faster and flush out your system. A recent study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that a diet rich in the amino acid arginine (found in watermelon) may help you decrease your body fat by over 60 percent in just 12 weeks.
3. Practice good belly form at your desk or on the couch: Draw your belly button into your spine (without holding your breath) to engage your abdominals and help to flatten them. Hold it for 30 seconds and then relax. Work up to holding it for a full minute (or two).
4. Move to lose. Great abs can hide under belly fat, so make sure you've got a weekly exercise plan. Try this basement boot camp routine two to three days a week, alternating it with three to four days of 30 minutes of your favorite cardio exercise (power walking, jogging, swimming).
Jessica Smith is a certified fitness lifestyle expert and creator of the 10 Pounds Down DVD series.
More from REDBOOK:
POLL: What Really Makes a Husband Sexy?
How to Beat Bloat - FAST
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
26 Fun, Cheap Date Ideas
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.