Summer's nearly over, and while that means we no longer have to worry about looking hot in that adorable swimsuit, it also means that our bikini bods may be a little worse for the summer wear. We're talking vacation weight, put on while snacking on chips at the beach house or indulging in a few too many barbecues.
We caught up with Michelle Lovitt (trainer extraordinaire of Courteney Cox), who gave us four tips melt away about 2 percent of body fat in two to three (very active) weeks. In other words, before the tan lines fade.
1. Interval train five days a week for a half hour with a heart-rate monitor - working 80 percent of maximum heart rate during sprints and never dip-ping below 60 percent during "rest." Find your target heart rate.
2. Do all your resistance training - squats, planks, sit-ups, reverse lunges - on a BOSU ball. "It forces you to use more muscle to keep stable," Lovitt says. Alternate between 15 to 30 minutes of upper- and lower-body exercises every day.
3. Incorporate 5- to 10-pound hand weights into all lower-body exercises to maximize muscle use and boost calorie burn.
4. Mix up your routine by playing a high-intensity sport at least once a week. Cox, for instance, hits the tennis courts on weekends. Or, you might find pole dancing is for you.
Want more? Try these 10-Minute Fat Burning Exercises
More from Marie Claire
- Red Carpet-Ready 101: Pro Tips
- Global Exercise and Diet Secrets
- How to Look Fabulous in Any Photo
- What's Your SPF IQ?
- The Hottest Hair Trends from the Runway
Want more Love, Fitness, and Career Advice? Subscribe to Marie Claire and Save!