By Laurel House
Open any tabloid and you're sure to find some crazy fad diet that promises a quick fat-loss fix. And what pudding proves it works? Celebrities of course! That's not to say that all starlets are fond of fads, just those who swear by weigh-less waters or ice cream diets as their secret slimming trick. Let me tell you something: Fads are called "fads" because their popularity quickly fizzles. If it was something that actually worked, it would last and therefore wouldn't be called a fad.
Zen Gray, an ExerciseTV trainer, targets 5 particularly offensive fads on "Fads Not to Follow," an episode of her show "The Skinny." From diet pills to laxatives- which she calls "bulimia from the back end," even the master cleanse- a starvation-ish detox with a cult-like following, Zen isn't afraid to give it to you straight with a distinct edge. Refreshing. "You know, crack heads are pretty skinny... but I wouldn't want to be one. Skeletons just don't turn me on and I like my teeth, thanks. And staying alive is a bonus, too." We like her!
Watch the episode below!
So if you can't depend on fads to melt fat off, and you aren't into getting fit the old fashioned way (that would be diet and exercise), what are instant gratification junkies supposed to do? While, the only real way to trim down long term is, yes, a healthy diet and exercise, Zen does have a few tricks up her sleeve.
Here are 5 fad-free tips to help make you look and even feel leaner now!
1. Drink LOTS of Water- Drink half your body weight in ounces in water every day. Not diet soda, not some powered up drink with a toxic glow... just water. Most of us walk around dehydrated. If your urine has ANY color to it, you are slightly dehydrated. Watch the pounds melt off. Seriously, it works.
2. Stop Stressing- Stress can make you hold onto belly fat. So I tell people to relax and get as much sleep as they possibly can... on top of making healthier food choices and fitting in daily exercise.
3. Slather on the Tanner- Firming moisturizers and self-tanning products can actually make you appear to be slimmer than you are by smoothing the texture of the skin (ahem… cellulite) and enhancing contours and muscle tone.
4. Get a Killer Outfit with Sexy Shoes- I don't care if I've put on a few pounds, when I get out mysexy dress and diva shoes... I am looking and feeling good!
5. Act Confident- Walk into a room with your head held high, chest out and a big smile on your face. Nothing is more sexy than confidence (or the illusion of it!) And if you don't feel confident? Fake it 'till you make it, baby. Studies prove that motion creates emotion. So if you ACT like you're hot stuff, pretty soon you'll believe it, too.
***Just don't forget that while tricks may appear to be quick fixes, real fat loss comes from a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Try switching your chair at work for this STABILITY BALL and you'll see a defined, slimmer core in just a week!