Next to tomatoes, mangoes are my favorite Summer produce. I love the sweetness of this fruit; it also doesn't hurt that it's packed with nutritional goodness too. And even though a mango tastes great on its own, there are a lot of tasty ways to eat it. Keep reading to learn five different ways to prep a mango, and five nutritional reasons it's always a good fruit to have on hand.
- It's important to eat fresh veggies and fruit every day. And since half a mango is considered a full serving of fruit, eating one mango is an easy way to get toward that goal. I love adding mango to salsa because the sweetness of the fruit complements the spices. Mango salsa makes a great side dish and also works well on fish.
- Whether it's Greek yogurt for breakfast or an afternoon frozen yogurt treat, mango on yogurt is a right-on pairing. And the antioxidant that gives mangoes their bright orange hue will also boost up your yogurt with vitamin C and beta-carotene.
- Turn plain mango into something new with the addition of three simple ingredients: lime juice, chili powder, and salt. Toss it all together and enjoy! This popular Central and South American snack is an easy way to get some fiber into your diet too since one cup of mango contains three grams of fiber.
- Mangoes are one of those fruits that work really well in savory dishes, especially in salads. I store pre-cut mango in my fridge so that I can always toss it on top of a salad. You can also use mango to make skin toner! The sugars in mango are great for exfoliating.
- Tropical fruits like mangoes, papayas, and passion fruit work so well as sorbets, which is something FitSugar reader colbie knows. She recently shared this recipe for a mango mint sorbet in the FitSugar Healthy Recipe group. A mango sorbet is a yummy way to get a good dose of vitamin A; half a mango contains 28 percent of the RDA for vitamin A.
Tame Your Sweet Tooth With These Tips to Cut Back on Sugar
Produce: Keeping it Fresh
What 100 Calories Looks Like: Fresh Fruit Edition
Follow FitSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of FitSugar on Facebook