In his new book, The Healthy Home (March 22, 2011), expert microbiologist Dr. Myron Wentz discusses five potential health risks and how to create a safer, more eco-friendly home.
1. "Wrinkle free" sheets can expose you to the chemical PFC (perfluorochemcials) and is linked to reproductive and development toxicity, as well as cancers of the bladder and liver. Try using natural alternatives like cotton or linen.
2. Teflon pots and pans release potential hazardous fumes and particles into the air such as toxic gases, carcinogens and global pollutants. Try using a well-seasoned cast iron skillet instead.
PLUS: 15 Secrets of the ER
3. Fluorescent light bulbs will make you feel drained. They contain a toxic gas known as mercury vapor. Instead try purchasing regular incandescent light bulbs.
4. Electrical appliances create EMFs (electromagnetic fields) which are similar to those found under power lines that were linked to cancer clusters. Make sure you unplug your appliances when they are not being used.
5. Take your shoes off before entering your home. We walk around unwittingly in car oil, pesticides, animal waste and toxins.
15 Foods You Should Never Buy Again
20 Secrets Your Waiter Won't Tell You
5 Extraordinary Uses for Baking Soda
7 Home Health Checks That Can Save Your Life
13 Things You Never Knew About Your Weight
11 Secrets of Getting Better Doctor Care
13 Things Your Supermarket Isn't Telling You
13 Camp Counselor Secrets
13 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You
13 Things Your Plumber Won't Tell You
13 Teacher Secrets
13 Things Your Shoe Salesman Won't Tell You
13 Hotel Secrets
Get more insider secrets!
Sign up for the 13 Things newsletter to receive insider secrets.
Download our Life IQ trivia game for your iPhone.