You've got to have energy to have an effective workout, so let your pre-workout snack help you push yourself to do your best. What works for you the best will depend on when you eat your snack as well as any stomach sensitivity issues you have, but a good rule of thumb is make your snack a mix of mostly carbs and a little bit of protein for exercise success. Here are a few pre-workout snack ideas that do just that!
- Apple Slices and Yogurt Peanut Butter Dip: Mix nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt with peanut butter and cinnamon to make an extra creamy dip that goes well with apple slices (use one medium apple) and offers the right amount of energy for your workout.
- Mango Energy Balls: You can make a batch of these mango quinoa coconut energy balls well before your next workout, then freeze any extra for months. The blend of vegan ingredients offers you just the right amount of proteins and carbs to fuel you through any workout.
- Protein Smoothie: An easy-to-digest protein smoothie is a great option if you need to fuel up before a workout, and this vanilla protein smoothie is perfect. Slightly sweet and simple to make, you can whip this up not too long before your workout. For more smoothies, check out our healthy smoothie recipes roundup.
- Fruit and Oatmeal: For a long run or intense workout, you need the right fuel to keep your energy up. A small bowl of plain oatmeal (not the packaged kind), a little sweetener, and a sliced banana will keep you full and ready to go.
- Hummus and Microgreen Toast: Topping toast simply with hummus and microgreens helps fuel your workout with carbs and protein, not to mention an extra hydration kick from the greens.