April Daniels Hussar, SELF magazine
Happy Labor Day! Though the fall equinox doesn't happen for a couple more weeks, today unofficially marks the end of summer -- but don't be sad! There are a lot of fun (and tasty!) reasons to look forward to the season ahead.
1. Fall clothes! Do you ever really need a good excuse to go shopping? And with Labor Day and back-to-school sales in full swing, it's the perfect time to treat yourself to some cozy cashmere or a pair of booties that will walk you right into winter. Bye, bye flip flops! Check out SELF's fall outfit ideas (like the great look above) for some style inspiration and this cheat sheet for how to score all the looks for less. Happy shopping!
Related: Yoga Moves for Flat Abs
2. That "back-to-school" feeling. Even if you're not in school anymore, the crisp excitement of a new chapter in life -- and new school supplies! -- is in the air. Use that energy to buy yourself a new notebook and some fancy pens, and make a list of goals you have for the season.
3. Yummy fall produce. We'll miss cherries and watermelon, but fall means the shelves will be filled with beautiful in-season apples, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash, to name just a few. Bonus: lots of fall produce is packed with healthy antioxidants. Time to start pulling out your slow cooker and pie recipes! Speaking of pies...
Related: Foods That Fight Belly Bloat
4. Tasty comfort foods. The ice cream man will soon stop singing his siren song in suburbia, but that means it's time to turn the oven on! Apple and pumpkin pies of autumn will soon lead to all the delights of the holidays: gingerbread, sugar cookies, butternut squash soup. In fact, the thought of all those delicious calories brings us to our final point...
Related: 20 Superfoods for Weight Loss
5. Outdoor workouts! As the days get cooler and the fall foliage bursts into action, it's time to take your workouts, well, out! From runs in the park to biking excursions and hikes, fall is a great time of year to get fit in the great outdoors. Thinking of an outdoor sport, like rock climbing or kayaking? Here's how to get started.
Raise your Labor Day glass to a great summer, and an even better autumn coming up!
More from SELF:
5 Simple Steps to Cellulite-Free Skin
3 CrossFit Total-Body Workouts
50 Healthiest Snacks
6 Secrets to Firing Up Your Metabolism