1. To protect your ticker.
According to a study involving nearly 13,000 high-risk heart patients, people who regularly take annual vacations slash their risk of death from heart disease by as much as 29 percent.
RELATED: 35 Little Acts of Kindness
2. To extend your life.
The same study found that people who vacation have a 17 percent lower risk of death from any cause.RELATED: You Make the World a Better Place
3. To be happier-even before you leave home.
Dutch scientists discovered that simply anticipating a trip increases happiness. And a study published in 2009 in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine found that vacations and other leisure activities lead to a more positive outlook and lower levels of depression.
RELATED: Step 5: Teach Your Children to Give
4. To improve the quality of your relationship.
Research by the Rural Women's Health Study revealed a direct correlation between frequency of vacations and odds of marital satisfaction: The more time a woman took off, the happier she was at home.RELATED: 6 Ways to Avoid a Fight on Vacation
5. To boost your productivity.
Numerous studies on workers have shown that time off is crucial for stress recovery (a process of psychophysiological unwinding)-and that stress recovery is key to improving well-being and performance on the job.
More from Oprah.com:
• 16 ways to make an incredible impact with less than $15
• The 10 smartest things you can do for your body this summer
• Anti-aging products skin docs love
• De-stressing secrets from around the world
• Subscribe to O, The Oprah Magazine and save up to 78%
Like O, The Oprah Magazine on Facebook