We love late night snacking! But sometimes it's tempting to reach for the unhealthy snacks, rather than the healthy. If you're anything like us, you need some alternatives! Here are our current favorite healthy and delicious snacks that keep your post-dinner munchies satisfied.
1. Endangered Species Organic Dark Chocolate: Endangered Species chocolate bars are vegan, gluten-free, certified organic and contain 70-percent cacao. This dark chocolate treat will satisfy your late-night sweet tooth while providing a hefty dose of antioxidants, which can help lower your blood pressure and improve blood vessel function.
Ingredients: five 5 squares from a 3oz bar
2. Pistachio nuts: Pistachios are a nutrient-rich, simple snack. If you're extra hungry, snacking on pistachios gives you an advantage over other nuts, as you get more nuts per ounce. Plus research shows that snacking on pistachios compared to other common snack foods like pretzels leads to more weight loss and greater reductions in cardiovascular disease risk factors.
Ingredients: 1 oz pistachios
RELATED: 9 Tasty and (Semi) Snacks to Enjoy at the Movies
3. Low-sugar double chocolate pudding: This double chocolate spin on instant pudding is a guilt-free way to enjoy a carb-conscious chocolate treat that cuts out 14.5 grams of sugar per serving compared to regular chocolate milk.
Ingredients: 1 packet sugar-free, fat-free instant chocolate pudding
2 cups Calorie Countdown Chocolate Milk
How to prepare: With a wire wisk, mix together 1 packet of pudding mix with 2 cups of cold Calorie Countdown Chocolate Milk for two minutes. Pour pudding into bowls of four equal portions. Place in refrigerator for at least five minutes before eating.
4. Pomegranate with Greek yogurt: With about twice the protein and only half of the carbohydrates as regular plain yogurt, Greek yogurt carries a significant nutritional advantage, especially if you're trying to lose weight. The addition of pomegranate seeds gives you a stimulating, tart flavor from some of the world's most powerful antioxidants.
2/3 cup 2 percent Greek Yogurt
one-fourth of a cup of pomegranate, seeds only
How to Prepare: Mix together pomegranate seeds, Greek yogurt, and enjoy.
RELATED: Stay Healthy on The Go: Snack Ideas from Lisa Lillien
5. Cottage cheese with live cultures: Cottage cheese is an excellent choice for a nighttime snack because it's low in carbohydrates and high in protein. Don't shy away from "full-fat" cottage cheese, as 2/3 cup of full-fat cottage cheese contains less than 6 grams of fat, which will help you feel fuller and kill cravings. Look for cottage cheese with live and active cultures to get a dose of probiotics without having to take a supplement.
Ingredients: 2/3 cup full-fat cottage cheese
More on SHAPE:
7 Low-Calorie Recipes for Sunday Brunch
9 Low-Carb Snacks to Eat on the Go
Nutritionists Share Their Favorite Snacks