Source: 5 Ways to Burn More Calories When Interval Training
A super-effective weight-loss strategy is incorporating intervals into your cardio workouts. Aside from burning calories and saving you time, interval training has been proven to reduce belly fat as well as increase your post-workout calorie burn. If you're looking to get more out of your interval workouts, follow these tips.
- Move faster: The faster you run, the more calories you'll burn. Step it up during the sprinting intervals and push yourself to the point of huffing and puffing, because remember: the interval will be over after a minute or two, and then you can slow down and have time to recover.
- Mix up the equation: If you always move at a moderate pace for three minutes and then sprint for one minute, your body will quickly adapt to these demands and you'll wonder why you're not seeing the results you're after. Keep your muscles guessing by varying the interval times both from workout to workout and during the workout itself.
More from FitSugar: Cardio Comparison: Calories Burned in 30 Minutes
- Go for the hills: Aside from increasing your speed, you can also make the sprinting segments of your workout more challenging by adding incline. If you're inside, pump up the incline on the treadmill, and if you're outside, every time you get to a hill, pick up the pace until you reach the top. Hills will not only increase your endurance and speed, but they'll also help tone your lower body faster than running on a flat surface.
- Once a week won't cut it: If you're new to the interval training scene, the only way to make it feel easier and to see quicker results is to incorporate this type of training at least three times a week.
- Don't just run: Since running all the time puts you at risk for injuries and fitness plateaus, be sure to perform intervals with other types of cardio such as biking, swimming, dancing, or jumping rope.
3 Machines That Help Burn Fat Faster
Reasons to Own a Jump Rope
6 Tips For a More Intense Cardio Workout
Follow FitSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of FitSugar on Facebook